Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help: Identify my Cruiser

Phantom

Country Flag
malta
Hi all,

I need help in identifying my Cruiser.

For a fact I know that it is an LJ 71 from the chassis number with a 2lt engine (2.4td). It is a manual and has the following extras like ps, aircon, electric windows and electric mirrors. It has a coil suspension.

It is a jdm imported to Malta in 1993 and is totally stock, having the original radio casette and also the original Toyota signal flare!

It has the sx5 badge.

However browsing the net I found that my cruiser does not have the headlight washers and the inclinometer/thermometer gauges.

I can't figure out exactly the model that I have. I tried scouring in depth but I guess I'm missing something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and also recommendations on any books that would help me to identify the vehicle.

Thank you all :):)

received_10155225379311093.jpeg IMG_20170607_200200.jpg IMG_20170607_155723.jpg IMG_20170603_191839.jpg

I looked at a lj70 before that was badged as an sx5 aswell. It had "Colorado" written on the cover of the spare wheel so from that i deducted it was a british import. Now my lj70 that I eventually bought is nearly exact same spec and it's vx model. Don't know if this helps lad

What is your frame no or model no
After determining that you can go to a website which has all Toyota's ever manufactured and see what you have and what was stock when it was manufactured

Cheers guys thank you so far :)

Would this be the Frame Number or Model Number?

There should be a metal plate, usually at the back of the engine bay with a couple of details. This should help find it..VIN_PLATE_AND_STAMP_STICKER_LOCATIONS.png

And it will look like this
vin_plate_rommel.jpg

Depending on what you are looking for, model number will answer the question above. Rhe frame number has a few more details

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Enter your chassis number, which is stamped on the chassis in the drivers side wheel arch into Toyodiy.com and it will come up with all the details of exactly which market it was built for, what transmission it had, what spec level it was etc. ;)

It may have had a back door off another 70 fitted, hence the SX5 badge. Its also possible some one fitted central locking and electric windows from another vehicle, maybe. :think:

Whoaw! Thank you guys for your help! Highly appreciated :)

Indeed it is an 1986 LJ71 SX5 and reaffirms my suspicions that since being imported from Japan, the previous owner kept it stock:dance:

I'd love to read more about this topic such as what does the SX5 signify and extras and options on such vehicles. Can you maybe recommend me a good book about this?

In the meantime off to continue reading Ben's therapeutic LJ78 build thread! :)

Enter your chassis number, which is stamped on the chassis in the drivers side wheel arch into Toyodiy.com and it will come up with all the details of exactly which market it was built for, what transmission it had, what spec level it was etc. ;)

Ben, I'm trying to find info on a US government owned Land Cruiser I just took responsibility for in Africa. Where do I enter the frame number on Toyodiy.com? I don't see how to do it. If you're curious, the frame number is HZJ750025926.

Hi Phantom,

According to Alexander Wohlfarth's book 'The Land Cruiser Legend' identifying your exact model of 70 series may not be that simple....
Because the J7 was split into:
2 model groups - 'light' [coil springs] & 'Heavy'
5 wheelbases
numerous body variations and facelifts
22 different engines.
Restricting the identification process to wheelbase, suspension, body and engine variations there are just over 100 different J7 models.

With so many variables AW suggests that the J7 series deserves a book in its own right, so the internet becomes your friend. And after nearly two decades of searching for J4 info I still find new info. Happy searching!

Regards,

Rodger

"It may have had a back door off another 70 fitted, hence the SX5 badge. Its also possible some one fitted central locking and electric windows from another vehicle, maybe. :think:"

my 1986 lj 73 is european market and has central locking. (on door switch only)

It is a jdm imported to Malta in 1993 and is totally stock, having the original radio casette and also the original Toyota signal flare!

Guys .....am I missing something ?
Toyota signal flare ??

I'm sure surfs used to have them but they got removed on import

I am just at a bit of a loss to understand why the flipping heck a signal flare was ever included as OE .
Yes on a boat but a car ? even on one that will reach remote places it seems a little OTT ....;-)
Not to mention the recipe for disaster of some numpty fiddling with it and letting it off inside the car .

As a complete diversion but those of an Agricultural background will smile knowingly ....

We use gas powered bird scareers to try and stop birds eating crops . These provided hrs of fun on the farm being used in many inappropriate ways ;-) . One of my jobs as a young lad was to drive around the farm picking them up before the crop covered them and the combine then tried to eat them later in the year .......
Picture the scene .....Landrover 90 with 3 young lads in the front and a pile of gas guns in the back ....we hit a rather large bump in the road and were perturbed to say the least to hear the unmistakable sound of the click and gas being released into the banger.... the locals were even more perturbed to see a Landrover screech to a halt and 3 lads bale out just before the inevitable bang.....

Ahh, an alternative answer to the warning triangle then.

Back