Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help! Kzj71 wont start! Maybe ECU?

Marcel Stefan Jucan

Country Flag
romania
Hi all! After 6+ years of restauration, i am nearly done with my kzj71. I tried to start the engine, but somenting is wrong. Thw engine started for about 20 seconds and runs sweet as it should, but suddenly stops like you turned off the ignition,so i belive is 99.9% electrical problem. I tried to make a self diagnostic with conecting Te1 with E1 on the obd port, but engine light stay on, no flashes, so no codes. I also can hear the ECD RELAY ticking and making ugly noises. So, at the end, the engine crank, but wont start because fuel is cut. Is a land cruiser kzj71, manual gearbox,1993. Anyone can help me, please? Thank you.

Attachments

• VID_20201007_171547.mp4
    9 MB
Hello Marcel if you can get the engine to crank check to see if you've got diesel arriving at the injectors.I'm not sure if the 1Kz has a spill control valve but if you search on the 90 & 70 series forums you should find more than one thread about this.

If he would have diesel at the injectors it would keep running ;) Diesels need only 2 things; compression and fuel. First thing it to bypass the ecd relay and see if it keeps running. They're prone to fail with time. And now most important thing, does it still have efi pump? Photo from under the bonnet from around pump would help.

If he would have diesel at the injectors it would keep running ;) Diesels need only 2 things; compression and fuel. First thing it to bypass the ecd relay and see if it keeps running. They're prone to fail with time. And now most important thing, does it still have efi pump? Photo from under the bonnet from around pump would help.
Yes, is an EFI. first time it started and runs perfect for 20 sec and than stalled. Also, when the ignition on, i can hear the relay of ecd and the thing on the top of the engine(black small one, wich is in the picture)

Attachments

• VID-20201007-WA0009.mp4
    3.1 MB
  • IMG-20201007-WA0007.jpeg
    IMG-20201007-WA0007.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG-20201007-WA0005.jpeg
    IMG-20201007-WA0005.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG-20201007-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20201007-WA0003.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 66
Depends on how confident you are with a soldering iron, but I would replace both of those capacitors with new ones, clean the board up and hopefully should be fine

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Can’t see to clearly from the photo, but the left of the two capacitors looks like it’s bulging so has probably blown, though they usually make a bit more of a mess from experience. I would clean up the board with some fast drying contact cleaner, or similar, to make sure the tracks around are not damaged and definitely replace at least the left of the caps. Capacitor will only be a few pence, look on the side of it to see what value you need should specify voltage and capacitance. Don’t worry too much about the voltage as long as the replacement is at least what you have in there now. Also ensure you get it the right way round, these are electrolytic capacitors so have a right and a wrong way.

This is a classic example as to why you do an ecu delete. They are not the way to have your engine running.

I've fitted a manual fueling pump to all of the 1kzt (e:thumbdown:) that Ive had so far.

Ok when they work but why rely on a shiny box, when you hook up a cable straight to your diesel pump..:thumbup:

Back