Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help ! leaking cv joint

Shayne

Guru
New lower ball joints last week and the truck has hardly moved since but 3 short trips today totaling maybe 10 miles and and i have 3 leaks !

I think the wet transfer box guard is more likely to be melted grease accumulated over a time .

Not to bothered about the steering rack leak i will just keep it topped up .

But i can't ignore the cv , can i put leak stop or some such thing in the front diff as a temporary fix until i get back from Romania ?

There's a fluid they sell for the steering rack leak that will 99% sort out the leak, not too sure on it's name but I think Halfords sell it. Someone else may know what it's called.. 'Not too sure with the CV's, are they leaking badly?

4 hours left approx a 4" diameter stain on the road .

Which cv? My understanding is that the grease is stopped by the cv boot and the retaining clip?

Your right Umar the description is wrong , it must be the seal between diff and cv joint , i found this stuff http://reviews.halfords.com/4028/797688/reviews.htm and i don't see what i have to lose as i have no chance of getting the parts and having them fitted before departure .

Unless someone has a better idea ?

Surely it's the front diff. Does it smell of diff oil.
Leaking from one of the front drive shaft seals ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have very little sense of smell but it feels like oil and its dripping , 4 inches further in than the inner cv boot .

Is it the near side? If so it might be pas fluid leaking on the cv boot etc

I suppose that leak stop stuff just makes seals expand so i will drain the diff pour it in and jack the passenger side up for a couple of hours, if its going to work that should do it before i put new oil in .

I think you need to identify which oil it is, isn't diff oil a reddish colour I thought I had a gearbox leak as the bell housing was covered in oil in fact the cam cover seal is nackered and the oil is trickling down the block and then onto the gearbox.

The guy I bought my truck from told me that the turbo oil feed pipes crack and that's not far from the inner cv

That's interesting Umar because i was sure the turbo looked wet while looking up from under the truck but a wipe with some paper towel didn't show any damp , i will have a look for that pipe anyway . I'm pretty sure the oil is coming from the diff i cleaned up and left it for an hour and found a drip hanging from the joint .

Put a newspaper or some rag to mask off everything above your diff and CV, if you still get the leak, you've found the culprit. If it's coming from above it will be on the paper/rag.

It's the diff tube leaking but overnight produced only a 1 inch diameter puddle so i think it's more likely a symptom of my not having time to drive the truck for the past 3 weeks . An early warning that the seal will need replaced maybe but not something to fret about i hope , i planned to change the oil anyway so some leak stop into the mix can't hurt .

Shayne, at least take a seal with you. They're very easy to change with basic tools. Mr T can get you one same day if you order early enough. Even a Milner one would be better than nothing. You can seat it with a socket and a tapping stick if needs be. And make sure that your filler plug is just nipped, plus you have a tube to get oil in there to keep it topped up.

Roughtrax have never failed with next day delivery so i will be giving them a call :thumbup:

I don't have water in the trailer or towing electrics yet , the CB to finish , change diff oils was on the list anyway and there's a storm approaching .

Last edited:
Back