Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help.My handbrake parking light is 'ON' even though the hand brake is on engage.(LC 100 series)

hafiz

Country Flag
malaysia
hi.
im a new owner of LC 100 series from Malaysia (right hand drive).
i just bought the car 3 days ago. My handbrake parking light is 'ON" although I already put it down.
The car drive normal tho.

what may be the issue?
how to solve it?
is it dangerous to drive now?

Help

Your brake fluid is low. Top the fluid up and see if it comes back. If it does you have a leak.

Don't drive it until you have topped up if you can avoid it, you don't want to suck air into the brake lines.

The 100 doesn't have a dedicated parking brake warning light, it has a brake system warning light (which also comes on when you apply the hand brake). So, if the hand brake is off, there is a fault on your brake system, which could be serious. If not the brake fluid level, it could be a brake booster fault.
1640943678546.png

1640943652809.png

I had similar on my 90 series but intermittent. Turns out even halfway between min and max on the brake fluid reservoir can cause this if you drive round right hilly turns etc?

Can also be a dirty or stuck park brake light. But look into the fluid first

hi Thank you for the respond.

ive went to workshop and run the diagnostic. error code came out as ABS system fault.
the mechanic suggest to change the whole ABS system which is costly according to him or bypass the ABS making the car without ABS system.

1. is advisable to bypass the ABS system?
2. what is the model of the ABS system. i have to source it.

my car is 101series diesel.

thank you

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Personally I think that both options that he has given you are wrong ! If it is an ABS fault, then the amber ABS Warning light will be on. If it is a brake warning light, probably red, then as the above responses.

Generally, what comes up as an ABS fault is a brake booster fault, as that is at the core of the ABS. You can not manage without a well functioning brake booster.
Read the 2 forum threads linked to below. (Takes a few hours). That will give insight to both the brake master and the brake booster, which dealers and other repair facilities like to replace as one unit.

What is the fault code(s) you get? Which year is your HDJ100, and does it have Atrac (anti spin/skid)?
An owner of a 100 series (which is now an old car) will benefit from having TechStream or similar for reading and resetting fault codes, and a copy of the FSM for understanding your car and how to take care of it. Both of these are nearly free. Without these two, and some time spent, it can become very costly to maintain a 100 series cruiser. That goes especially for systems like the AHC, the brake master/booster, and the diesel supply and injection.

Last edited:
Back