Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

help with 4 wheel drive selector

Yatys93

Country Flag
australia
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, I just bought a 2001 manual land cruiser to do a lap of Australia in, I have never owned a 4X4 before, and have no idea how the selector works, and the car didn't come with a manual, the selector has 4 positions, H, HL, N and LL, and I am from google thinking that H is 4 wheel drive without locking the front and back axles, HL is locking them, and LL is low range, which would mean N is just 2 wheel drive?

as I said might be a dumb question but I don't want to break something :p

Thanks in advance

N is neutral - wheels and transfer case disconnected.

Otherwise you're right, except the L in HL and LL locks the centre diff, not the axle diffs.

There's no way to get 2 wheel drive with this transfer case (short of using HL and removing a driveshaft).

N is neutral - wheels and transfer case disconnected.

Otherwise you're right, except the L in HL and LL locks the centre diff, not the axle diffs.
Right ok, so for general driving on the road I just leave it in H?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You might find some instructions on how to select the different positions on a card on the drivers sun visor. If not then I'll try and take a pic of mine when I'm out next.

You might find some instructions on how to select the different positions on a card on the drivers sun visor. If not then I'll try and take a pic of mine when I'm out next.
that would be really helpful thank you, can I ask one more possibly stupid question, because google isn't being very helpful, does yours have remote locking? the guy I bought it off gave me 2 keys, both work, one is the toyota key without any lock controls, and the other is a 3rd party fob which doesn't affect the car, changed the battery today and no change, before I run around getting the key reprogrammed just thought I'd check

Yes it does have remote central locking - mine is an Australian domestic market model and remote central locking was an option, so my fobs are single button teardrop shaped completely separate from the key.

If yours doesn't have the fobs you can get these and program them fairly easily yourself. But it'll only be worth doing if you know you have the remote central locking option.

There's no need to reprogram after a battery change, I've changed my battery before and all was good.

Is yours a Prado (90 series) or a LandCruiser (100 series)? I'm expecting the LC would be higher in spec than the Prado.

Yes it does have remote central locking - mine is an Australian domestic market model and remote central locking was an option, so my fobs are single button teardrop shaped completely separate from the key.

If yours doesn't have the fobs you can get these and program them fairly easily yourself. But it'll only be worth doing if you know you have the remote central locking option.

There's no need to reprogram after a battery change, I've changed my battery before and all was good.

Is yours a Prado (90 series) or a LandCruiser (100 series)? I'm expecting the LC would be higher in spec than the Prado.
90 Prado, Only picked it up yesterday and I got it with the engine running so had no idea the locking didn't work till I got home about a 2 hour drive later, so when I finished work today I went and got the battery replaced to check if that was the issue, and no change, now wondering if either the guy I bought it off just had the fob for some other reason and the car doesn't have remote locking or something else is wrong, and reprogramming is easier thing to check than the internal car parts

With mine I asked the guy I bought it off and he said the fobs both broke a few years before he sold it, I'm guessing yours is a similar vintage and it's fobs suffered the same?

If yours is a Australian domestic market model (ie sold at an Australian dealer) and if you are willing to bet you could buy a replacement, you can reprogram yourself by doing a combination of actions like opening and closing doors.

With mine I asked the guy I bought it off and he said the fobs both broke a few years before he sold it, I'm guessing yours is a similar vintage and it's fobs suffered the same?

If yours is a Australian domestic market model (ie sold at an Australian dealer) and if you are willing to bet you could buy a replacement, you can reprogram yourself by doing a combination of actions like opening and closing doors.

[/URL]
I'm not 100% sure, the guy I got it off wasn't the first owner, as far as I can tell it is, I know the fob is sending a signal as the guy who changed the battery tested it in the store, the doors lock with the key so if the remote never works its just something I have to get used to, I've just got a decade of having a remote and walking away while pressing the button to get over first

Does the fob look like the one I linked? If so I think it just needs to be paired to the car again.

At least you still have central locking and don't have the lifting the handle as you close the door nonsense of the 80s.

Does the fob look like the one I linked? If so I think it just needs to be paired to the car again.

At least you still have central locking and don't have the lifting the handle as you close the door nonsense of the 80s.
no it doesn't it is very much a third party key, I took a picture and google searched it, comes to a company that seems to make a fob for every single car out there, I just have no idea if he got the right one or every set it up

Attachments

• IMG_2671.jpeg
    IMG_2671.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 10
Tbh it's probably easier to get the Toyota ones and go from there. I think it is possible to view the remote module from behind the radio if you wanted to be sure.

Actually I think you can tell for yourself if the module is there by following the pairing instructions even without a key fob to pair. You'll just look out for the 20 flashes of the hazard lights, if you see these you know the module is present and can most likely buy fobs with little risk.

Instructions and lots of discussion here, apparently from 99 remote central locking was standard on the GXL. Re-programming central locking remote - Toyota Prado How To's, Technical Information & Reviews - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Tbh it's probably easier to get the Toyota ones and go from there. I think it is possible to view the remote module from behind the radio if you wanted to be sure.

Actually I think you can tell for yourself if the module is there by following the pairing instructions even without a key fob to pair. You'll just look out for the 20 flashes of the hazard lights, if you see these you know the module is present and can most likely buy fobs with little risk.

Instructions and lots of discussion here, apparently from 99 remote central locking was standard on the GXL. Re-programming central locking remote - Toyota Prado How To's, Technical Information & Reviews - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]
I'll have a look around and play with it, see what comes, got some more things I need to do as well so see where I end up, thanks again

Any time, wish I was doing a lap of Australia in my 90! One day.

Any time, wish I was doing a lap of Australia in my 90! One day.
thats my plan anyway, but looks like I might have to stay at my current job a few more weeks to make sure its all safe and ready to go, but the issue there is I'm a brit on a 12 month visa and already 2 months in and still in the city I landed in, plus I have to do the specified work, just hoping the steering doesn't bite me in the ass, had it inspected before I bought it and he said only issues are the timing belt will need doing soon (in about 30k km) so fine for now, and the valve cover gasket has some oil on it, but its not dripping so gonna keep an eye on that and get it fixed with the belt, the steering however wasn't mentioned and it has about a 5 degree dead zone when I turn the wheel before the car actually changes direction.

It's not a 00s Toyota without the leaky valve cover gasket! I'm from England too, grew up in Essex.

Timing belt shouldn't be too bad and good luck with the steering. FWIW mine has 397700km and is still very reliable and gets abused driven round town mostly.

It's not a 00s Toyota without the leaky valve cover gasket! I'm from England too, grew up in Essex.

Timing belt shouldn't be too bad and good luck with the steering. FWIW mine has 397700km and is still very reliable and gets abused driven round town mostly.
ah cool! from liverpool myself, the garage work suggested wants $2k for the timing belt so ill leave that for now, mines on 494000 so getting up there, but doesn't seem to be missing a beat actually driving it so hopefully no issues there

Back