Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help with Auto transmission oil change please

JimmyLJ71

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hi
I have an LJ71 2.4lte Auto
I have had a lot of work done on it but have decided to have the rad re cored, (glad I did!, fortunately there is a local company that does re cores), I've clamped off the auto box oil feed and return pipes to the rad but what oil came out didn't look nice, I was just going to top it up but now feel it needs a complete change.
I'm fairly mechanical minded but I have never done an oil change in an auto box cos I'm frightened I'm going to bugger it, can some one please give me a step by step guide how to do it and the quantity of oil I would require.
Many thanks.

I don't run an auto, but from the little I know, you can only drain off about 1/3 to 1/2 of the total capacity, the remainder is retained in chambers and solenoids and whatnot.

I would drain off what comes and then top it up with fresh. Do that 3 or 4 times over the coming year and eventually you will have changed some 95% of it, probably.

Others may reply with better info on changing it hot or cold and how to read the refill level dipstick and whatever, I'm not really familiar with autos.

I always drain out what is in the sump of the auto box on a regular basis and refill with new.
As already mentioned this will not remove all the oil from the system but I have been doing this for the last few years now and my oil appears to be fresh and bright red so I am happy to continue

Jim,
Drain the auto box sump contents into a container.
I then measure what has come out.
Refit the sump plug.
Pour the same amount of new oil into a new, clean (bought specially for the task) garden sprayer.
Remove the auto box dipstick.
Pressurise the garden sprayer, remove the nozzle and push the pipe down the dipstick tube and discharge the oil into the gearbox. This takes a short while so amuse yourself doing other little jobs, or have a cup of tea.
Once all the oil is in gearbox, check the oil on the dipstick (just to satisfy yourself).
Now start the engine and cycle the auto box through all of the gears, pausing for a second or two in each gear; obviously keeping a foot on the brake whilst doing this.
Then put the gearbox into neutral and check the oil level, it should be where it was before you started, if not top it up according.

As has been mentioned this will only empty the sump and not the auto box internals or the toque converter. So repeat the process several times over the next few hundred miles until you are happy with the colour of the oil.

Also consider getting a sump gasket and filter and change the filter during one of the oil changes. The FSM should cover this quite well.

Credit to Chris for the garden sprayer trick.

When I first purchasd my truck I dropped the sump replaced the strainer (my original was like new) cleaned the magnets and refilled with new fluid.
Sump gaskets are an aftermarket item as IIRC Toyota reseals the sump with a sealer only.
I use a small funnel and top up through the dip stick tube.
Hope that helps

Back