Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help with Diff rebuild

Jon_Tallis

Country Flag
wales
Hi all, I've pulled the diff out of the 80 today planning to re-bearing it but the crown wheel bearings are shimmed - no threaded adjusters, so I need someone with access to a Toyota shim set to rebuild it for me ☹️.
Any recommendations......ideally South Wales/ Bristol/ south Midlands as I'm in Pembroke?

Attachments

• PXL_20230311_175121124.jpg
    PXL_20230311_175121124.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 20
If you don't get any closer offers, I have the shims, but I'm 15 mins off J11 of the M4. The bearings are made with such precision it's possible the factory shims will be good for the existing gears, I've certainly had that happen when the diff isn't being regeared. If you change the bearings and want to play with different shims, you can bring it here and have a go with them on my jig. I'm a bit too busy with my own projects at the moment to offer full rebuild services again for a while.

Very many thanks John, I'll certainly keep that as an option - I'll try the existing shims and see how we go. By the look of the pinion nut I think someone has been in there previously and the backlash felt a bit excessive - although I didn't measure it before I stripped the diff

Backlash increases as the bearings wear so you'd expect that.

Hi John, do you have the FSM pages for the diff rebuild? I've got the Max Ellery manual but have heard various errors in the 3rd party manuals......just want to make sure I have the right settings for preloads and backlash. Thanks .

I'm sure all my 80 series manuals used to be on here in the resources section, but they've gone. I tried adding one for you, but it doesn't upload. From page 352 of RM184E, ring gear backlash is 0.15 - 0.20 mm (0.0059 - 0.0079 in). Pinion preload is 7 - 10 kg-cm (6.1 - 8.7 in.lb, 0.7 - 1.0 Nm) . That's pinion alone, so either without the carrier present, or in the backlash.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks to John for his input here. For info (it might help others) the diff went back together with new bearings (Toyo from roughtrax) and the original shims and came in smack on the lower limit for ring-gear backlash with pre-load in tolerance

Back