Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

help with hydraulic oil aeration. not cruiser related.

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
Bit of a long shot but the combined knowledge of the forum never ceases to amaze.

Struck the log splitter up today to get some late in the season logs split. There was a whining sound from the pto gearbox/hydraulic pump. I checked the hydraulic fluid in the tank and it was aerated and that centre of a crunchy bar colour..

i changed the the gearbox oil, i changed the hydraulic oil, 55 flippin litres! New filter arrives tomorrow. I cant find any leaks in the hoses or connections.
oil still frothing up, whining sound still heard.

Bit stumped.

I know nothing about log splitter hydraulics, but it sounds like it's drawing air in through a seal, on the intake side, so there will be aeration, but no signs of leaking fluid.

It's a long-shot answer to a long-shot question!

Thanks clive.

its like a snakes nest of hoses in there.. with more connections than you can shake a stick at..

Ill have another go at it with a fresh head on tomorrow.

55 litres... my god man thats a lot of hydraulic oil. Best thing to do is, i'd say, spend £40 on a decent splitting maul and get those shoulders working.

:chores-chopwood:

55 litres... my god man thats a lot of hydraulic oil. Best thing to do is, i'd say, spend £40 on a decent splitting maul and get those shoulders working.

I cant do it anymore nick. A couple of days on the axe and i feel like ive been trampled over by a herd of buffalo..

Cojones get the log splitter fixed! I chop all my logs but any that don't go in 2 or 3 hits get chucked into a pile & sawn up.if I had a log splitter id use it!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Does it have a suction strainer? If it does the recommendation is to bin it. They cause more trouble than they're worth. Just make sure the tank is thoroughly clean before proceeding and remains so.

55 litres…jeez! Sounds like it's either had a bit of water in the oil or got overheated judging by the colour you describe. Could it be the moisture boiling off in the remaining oil left after changing?

Last edited:
with a whine and airated oil sounds like cavitation which would mean some sort of oil starvation. Low oil, blocked filter. Or it could be simply airation which would be air getting into the system through seals or fittings. Alternitavly could be water getting into the system some how though the oil would emulsify and go a creamy white

If you havent lost oil id check tightness of fittings or oil leaks where air could get in and also check and if havent done for a while change the filters.

Thanks for the replys.

Still cant find any leaks, it may be the pump shaft seal.
i need to be making firewood not spannering so ive ordered some lucas hydraulic oil booster and stop leak.. yeah i know, im not a fan of such things neither, but i need to buy some time.

lets not talk about the price of 46 hydraulic oil.

I bought 20 litres of 46 hydraulic oil for my Tower Wagon from "The Cylinder Service Centre Ltd", they sell via Amazon as "CSC Oil and Hydraulics"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Iso-46-Hydraulic-Oil-Litres/dp/B00YPRO6EU/ref=sr_1_1?m=A7GLQM269BA43&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1505944211&sr=1-1&refinements=p_4:Tyne+and+Wear+Oils

£30.00 + £6.00 postage. I didn't think that was too bad.

From memory, I think my log splitter uses ISO 22 hydraulic oil, but I may be wrong.

Bob.
Cheers bob, that is a good price.

For quantities it's often worth contacting Morris's direct.

[QUOTE="StarCruiser, post: 1458715, member: 10959"in futureFor quantities it's often worth contacting Morris's direct.[/QUOTE]
Thats a good point sc. May order a 200 litre drum In future. We have a few things that need the stuff.

Back