Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help with roof racks for a "hump" roof mod

spnk

Country Flag
moldova
It might be a long shot, but still worth the try. Does anybody maybe have the Dutch aftermarket van conversion on their shorty and was able to find roof racks that would actually fit, and could recommend them to me? Everything I've tried is just too short (in height). It's that hump on the roof that's making things difficult. Frankly speaking, I don't really see what's the point in it, but that's a different story..

Photo below should help explain what I mean.

Attachments

• 20210708_191820.jpg
    20210708_191820.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Had a similar problem with an old Fourtrak years ago had to get some extended feet for some roof rails were a sod to fit though it did have a roof gutter and looking at your roof line Thule type roof rails would fit but you would have to cut them at an angle to fit around the hump and curvature of the hump if you cannot find some taller ones and after all that have you looked at commercial roof rails as they are a lot taller

I'll keep on looking, but yea, so far the only option that kind of worked was attaching gutter rails to the roof racks, but as they're not designed to be used like that, you couldn't get a solid grip on the brackets, so I took them off

Is that a tax thing, the raised roofs you see in Holland? I've always wondered.

Yep. They convert them to LKWs for lowering the taxes. You get only two seats, but a bigger trunk.

If anyone else is interested on how it looks inside, there's a guy who wrote an article about it. My model is from 98, but the back is pretty much the same.
Here's the article:

You can actually fit an IBC container in it (1m³). See first photo. But I've also managed to fit a self-built "transformer bed" (I call it that way), which can convert into two benches, or be folded up so you can use the bigger part of the back space. See rest of pics

Attachments

• 20210531_134719.jpg
    20210531_134719.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 20200522_202134.jpg
    20200522_202134.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20200522_202712.jpg
    20200522_202712.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 20200522_203722.jpg
    20200522_203722.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 50
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would imagine you are going to have to modify something to fit. I haven't seen those humped roof ones before. I presume there's a minimum internal volume needed for the tax exemption in NL. We have thousands of van conversions in Ireland, like mine, but the flat floor and blanked windows were all that were needed.

Mhm. Probably gonna have to get a custom built one. But I did see some tall Thule roof racks on a Gelandewagen, and another pair on an older CR-V (which actually also had a humpy roof), that seemed like they might fit my car. Too bad I couldn't ask the driver where they got them from..

A bit of an update for someone who might run into the same problem:
I managed to get a hold of a pair of fairly used Thule roof racks which came with Thule 9522 rain gutter feet. They're 20 cm high and fit JUST above the roof in the back, and are perfect in the front as the roof is lower there. There's an even higher model (9531) which is 28 cm high, and would be a nicer fit, but considering that I payed 30 euros for two complete racks, and the price for a new pair of 9522 feet is 120 euros, I am more than grateful for what I got.

Back