Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help with sloppy gear shift lever LC4 auto

Adrianlle

Country Flag
great_britain
When I recently acquired my LC I noticed the gear lever was v stiff moving it across from D to 4and down to 3 and L. Today I used too much brute force moving it across and I heard something click unhealthily. As a result the lever now moves freely BUT it is v wobbly now and won’t stay in 4- it springs back all the time to D Can someone please tell me what I’ve broken and how I fix it ! Thanks

The spring and guide pin are out of their location , their is a guy in Aussieland who does replacement modified spring and pin set for about £10 that fixes the problem , he also gives the easy step by step photo instructions in PDF , his name is Amts from Fourby4Diesel , look him up , toyota do not sell the part and would cost £5oo plus to get the whole part that include the spring and pin ..

How do I check whether the plastic housing is broken? There was an ominous sounding click when I moved the shifter from D to 4 over enthusiastically so a bit worried now that I have broken the plastic.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You won't know until you get in there, and it will be obvious. Its the vertical housing or collar that the plunger and spring fit into. Hopefully yours is ok, as mine was. The plunger was just laying there when I removed that area cover, with the spring still in its position. My shift stick was like a cock in a top hat with movement, so don't be too alarmed at this stage. Don't even think about replacing the plunger if it's out, replace both spring and plunger with new. Grease all on reassembly including shift gate.

Just like Tractionman said but if the plastic collar is cracked and has widened and the plunger has fallen out , you can superglue it and put some thin strong wire round it and twist the wire until closes up on the plastic it makes it tight to strengthen the collar and cut off any excess ends , and that will support the glue and make the repair stronger . if it has not cracked just fit the modified longer plunger and spring that Ants has made as it will not come out of place in future . as the Toyota plunger is shorter and not as good a fit and can fall out of place .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for help with this. Ordered from chap in Australia and it was posted in England. Received it 48 hours later and it’s now in. As you said the original pin was just lying inside loose. New spring/longer pin works a treat. So a lot of money saved. Also while tunnel console out a good opportunity to run a usb cable from centre console to inside armrest box.

Makes a big difference now, doesn't it? Before, I had to look when putting into required shift, now I just do it by feel as I know where it's going, and don't have to hold it over to get d4. Glad it was straight forward for you, with no nasty surprises !

I did mine by pulling the blank for hill descent? (the one on its own) and wiring in a twin outlet usb the same size as hole left.

Back