Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help with Windshield Washers

Jason I

Country Flag
united_states
I have a 2006 Land Cruiser 100. Best car I've ever owned and I'd like to keep it for another 10 years. Everything about it has been flawless. And yet I have one issue I have not been able to resolve. The windshield washers have never worked well at all. In cold or even cool weather, they spit out a weak stream of fluid that doesn't even reach the windshield. Sometimes, if I keep them running for a minute or longer, the stream will finally get stronger and reach the windshield. But in really cold weather forget about it. I've had to pull over many times because my windshield was muddy and the washers wouldn't clear it. Several times I was in fear of having an accident. I compare this to the washers my Prius has, that are always powerful in any type of weather.

I told my dealership. And they replaced the pump, but nothing has changed.

Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone know of a fix? Your help is much appreciated. It seems like a minor issue, but it can really be a nuisance when driving in bad weather.

I had something similar on a BMW once, which turned out to be the washer fluid bottle had gotten gummed up at the bottom where it had a strainer. It seems that over time a soapy wax built up. Once removed it was like new again.

I have a 2006 Land Cruiser 100. Best car I've ever owned and I'd like to keep it for another 10 years. Everything about it has been flawless. And yet I have one issue I have not been able to resolve. The windshield washers have never worked well at all. In cold or even cool weather, they spit out a weak stream of fluid that doesn't even reach the windshield. Sometimes, if I keep them running for a minute or longer, the stream will finally get stronger and reach the windshield. But in really cold weather forget about it. I've had to pull over many times because my windshield was muddy and the washers wouldn't clear it. Several times I was in fear of having an accident. I compare this to the washers my Prius has, that are always powerful in any type of weather.

I told my dealership. And they replaced the pump, but nothing has changed.

Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone know of a fix? Your help is much appreciated. It seems like a minor issue, but it can really be a nuisance when driving in bad weather.

Hi Jason,
Fridayman could have a point, but any problems I have had with jets, over the years is they block up, and the more you push water up, the more it clogs up.

The only way to sort it is remove the pipe and see if the water comes out of the pipe ok,then find a source of compressed air like a airline and blow air the wrong way so as to
blow any dirt away from the jets, then check the washer bottle for any dirt and try again

The lines can fur up as well, and the bottle(s) especially non return valves, all can can get clogged up over time. I would always recommend using "proper" washer fluid, it does a lot to keep the lines clear.

Does the 100 have that hideaway bottle like the 80 does? Kept me guessing for weeks that one did, when I had a leak :lol:

'hideaway bottle'? what's that?

'hideaway bottle'? what's that?

I discovered mine all by accident, and what a nuisance it was too! I had a leak which I presumed to be from the main (and only) bottle. First lesson, presume nothing! It's guaranteed to send you in the wrong direction.

So on my wonderful presumption, I bought a new bottle. :icon-rolleyes:

Next step, to fit it. Undid the three retaining bolts, piece of cake this I thought, disconnected the wiring and the tubes to the pumps, which was a bit trickier, and I was even getting my hands a bit dirty by this time.:icon-cry:

Anyway, soon be done I thought, but could I get that damned bottle to jiggle out from behind the battery? No way :wtf:. That's when I gave up and took the truck to the workshop along with my new bottle. Here, fit this, I've given up!

The mechanic said the leak is probably coming from the clips connecting it to the bottle in the inner wing :think: Only then did I look at the new one closer to see a 3/4" (or so) diameter plastic pipe poking out the back of the new bottle, going where? To a short rubber connecting hose to another bottle that resembles a portable colostomy bag that hides away in the inner wing.

After loosening all the bolts, you have to ease the visible bottle away from the inner wing, to access the clips, then you can remove it. The bag bottle is a different matter, three screws, then you have to wangle it out through the holes in the inner wing. What a performance!

Thats the hideaway bottle Chas, stay away is my tip, a PITA that one! :icon-biggrin::lol::icon-rolleyes:

PS The irony is, there was nothing wrong with my bottle, and I paid £80 for it IIRC :doh:It's fitted now, but if anyone wants the old one, it's theirs, just come and collect :laughing-rolling:

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well that beggers the question. Why is there 'a portable colostomy bag' in the inner wing? :confusion-confused:

Well that beggers the question. Why is there 'a portable colostomy bag' in the inner wing? :confusion-confused:

Who knows Chas? Extra capacity is the only thing that comes to mind. It's a strange phenomenon in my engine bay, because there's no turbo, I have enough room for about a 50 liter tank :lol: Where the washer bottle is positioned is the most contested place!

Jet nozzles do block up. On the 80 you can ping the brass balls out and clean the inside, then ping them back in again. I spliced the pipe on mine and put an in line filter just where the pipe enters the bonnet area after cleaning the pipe and nozzles. Once there is dirt or mould in the washer bottle it is very difficult to get out. Perfect ever since.

I have had the same problem. The jets are a one way valve. I bought new as they wouldn't clean out with an air line. Only £11 each from mr t a bargain. But the pump had been laboured and was goosed that was £95.

Back