Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

here we go again ... intermittent starting problem

goodoldboy

yesterday setting off from home i stopped at the end of our drive, going uphill, to change out of low box & as i drove on the engine stopped dead - no warning no hesitation or stuttering, just stopped.Pressed for time i abandoned ship & got off ,returning about 3 hours later.Before trying to restart i pumped the fuel filter bleeder & put 10 L of fresh diesel in the tank & she started first time.Now a couple of months ago i suffered the same thing but about 5 KM from home - going uphill cut out instantly - an assumed it was waxing diesel as we had experienced -6 to -8 for about a week & the truck had been standing.
Sunday i had been out on local tracks for a few hours, including some very steep climbs & descents & it never missed a beat.
KZJ 95 starting problems are well covered on this site , the obvious being the fuel pick up inside the tank & as yesterdays probs coincided with a fall in temps. it would seem to be a fuel problem .but my experience with fuel starvation on other cars have always included hesitation/poor pick up etc so im thinking maybe the stop solenoid?:icon-question:

Last edited:
It does sound like the Injection Pump solenoid is messing up. Over time, especially those who run poor quality diesel, rubbish gets through and accumulates inside the actual solenoid and I assume that is what damages it/makes it faulty. I can't think of any other problem it could be, from what you've described and already done.

Just thought I'd let you know I have a spare Injection pump, Complete, if you're interested pop me a PM

There is a water trap in the fuel filter, so I doubt it. There is a light on the dash to tell you when it's full

the problem seems to be temperature related - last night the mercury only dropped to 2 deg & today it started first time . no pumping on the fuel filter bleeder.My local & v.knowledgeable mechanic has suggested fitting a non return valve - a cheap & quick "experiment" so ill give this a go & see what happens.

Back