Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Here's a good one.

Dave2000

Supporter
Country Flag
spain
Like all garages there are good and bad. A customer of mine does his own oil changes and easy stuff, but calls me in for anything more, brakes ect.

Friday he has a smell of diesel, opens the bonnet and can see a wet area around one of the injectors and can see a pipe is missing. So he stops at a garage on the way into town, the 'mechanic' can see the pipe is missing and goes to the stores and duly returns with a piece of pipe of the correct bore however, he cannot see where it connects too?

Finally he points to a short piece of pipe, it looked frail and old so he pulled off and connected the other end of the new pipe.

My customer pays and goes on his way, a few minutes later there is smoke coming from the exhaust, so he stops at the shops, and whilst his wife is doing the shopping he is checking the engine (we have all used that excuse right?) nothing to be seen.

He starts the journey home when all of a sudden the car starts accelerating with no throttle, he quickly switched off the ignition but the engine continued to rev, fortunately he managed to stop and stall the engine before it went bang!

The mechanic had connected the one way bleed valve on the fuel filter, to the brake vacuum pump...........no honest!!

The fuel was sucked straight out of the fuel filter and into the engine and started mixing with the engine oil, a diesel with high oil levels will run on it's own oil increasing revolutions until it self destructs in a big way.

I get the call out, drain and refill with new oil, new filter, stupid pipe removed, small leak off tube replaced (the original problem), an incorrectly fitted 25 cent piece of pipe nearly destroyed his engine.

So that is the third call out this week due to poor workmanship.......and/or plain stupidy.

Regards

Dave

Back