Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi all

spit

Hi all,
I used to be into my fast sports cars but now I am living in oz,A 4 wheel drive is a must.
Just traded in my surf for a landcruiser and it is a beast.
The only problem I have is there is no dash indication for 4 wheel drive or center diff lock.
Is this normal ?
Pretty sure it does go into 4 wheel drive after a weekend of bush bashing but not so sure of center diff lock off the push button.
Any help would be great and it's nice to be here.
Did try taking the dash apart but the clown who installed the cruise control and LPG injection indication left the cables too short :thumbup:
IMG_0201.jpg

That looks a very tidy 80 series.
Immaculate.

Gra.

Welcome.

There should be a center diff light in orange.

It could well be that the bulb has just blown in the clocks.

Karl.

Thanks for the replies.
Is that an orange dash light or a lamp actually on the switch ?
thans again

Welcome to forum,

On my 80 the diff lock lamps are along the bottom row of the instrument binnacle below the speedometer and between the brake and oil warning lamps that illuminate when you turn the ignition on before start up,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Welcome. What a beautiful 80!

Not sure what you mean about going into 4 wheel drive though. The 80 IS four wheel drive all of the time. It's not a selectable system. Sure centre lock is and on some models there are front and rear lockers too, but the transfer box has two output shafts which run all the time.

As said already orange steady light on dash indicates centre is locked. But without knowing exactly what has been twiddled with, you may not get centre lock in high range. What happens if you stick it in low range?

Chris

Nah - that's a GX 80 series - you can see the gold hub lockers on the front wheel in the pic. Never got that version here.

Very nice though!!

Yes, some of the base models in other markets were selectable 4WD, so it has no CDL. I wouldn't mind betting that It has 4 headlights as well. I cant tell has it got 15 or 16" wheels.

Andy :thumbup:

But they are manual lockers aren't they Gary? Or does it have some clever electronic locking system - that would make would make sense than in terms of 'putting it in to 4x4'. How does the transfer box deal with the front drive shafts being free? Does it automatically lock the CD then?

Chris

Yep iirc it locks the cd automatically - thus the after-market pin-out mod - and you need to get out and lock the (AESIN) freewheel hubs, and shift from 2H to 4H on the stubby shifter. Only came in manual gearbox form too I think. Same as my first 80 sigh... And if it's the same 4500 it's a carburettor model and 4200 diesel has no turbo, and doesn't like after-market turbos either ....

Will go read the intro properly now ;-)

Thanks for the replies.
This is what I know about the vehicle after a few weeks of ownership
HZJ80R
1HZ
4.2D na.
Air con
Extractors
Aftermarket LPG injection system
Aftermarket cruise control
Rear air bags
4" lift
15" wheels
Lockable front hubs
gear selector---2H 4h N 4l
There is a dash button next to the sub tank button for center diff lock

Any info anyone can give me on the vehicle would be appreciated'
thanks again :thumbup:

Ok so sounds like a cross between a GX and GXL :lol: What's the model designation?

You should have an electrically lockable centre diff then. On my 80GXL there was an indicator light on the switch I think, but not on the dash. You can conceivably drive in 4L with the centre diff unlocked.

Cheers

The HZJ80R could be had with a part time transfer box with lockable/freewheeling front hubs. Diff locks were optional so it may or may not have them. The switches on the dash are pretty obvious so maybe this one hasn't got them.

As its part time would that mean that there is no centre differential like on the 70? That would explain why the centre difflock switch does not do anything, someone may have fitted the switch thinking it may have a centre difflock :think:

Chris said:
Welcome. What a beautiful 80!

Chris
I remember this bloke called Chris,,,,

Also had a beautiful 80 :whistle:

Gra

Back