Hi all

paul_t

Country Flag
england
Just a quick hello from me; a very new Landcruiser owner

Your name: Paul
Your Cruiser: KZJ95R-GKMNTW ; 2000W ; 79k miles
Mods on Cruiser : None at present
Plans for Cruiser : a) Clean off rust areas (plenty of it); weld small area of chassis; replace/repair spring mounts and brackets on rear axle (or get new rear axle) - sort ALL the suspension components - sort the brakes out - fit a DVD/SATNAV double DIN - get the rear lights in a better state (rather than just the ones in the bumper - might retrofit a cruise control capability - tune the engine for efficiency - K&N filter - tidy up the wheels - fit awesome tyres.
Cruiser Usage: This cruiser will be a family hauler; boat mover; all round battle-bus. Id like to give it a lift kit perhaps later in life; but lots to do before that.

4x4 Experience:
Minimal; have done a few offroad driving courses in the past; but never owned a 4x4 before.

Going to likely need plenty of input on the rear axle issues I can anticipate; so many thanks in advance for any help anyone can input.

Will send pics and updates as items get done.

Wish me luck...! haha

PT

FYI Currently, step 1 has been to diagnose issues - looks like slightly more than expected (whats new?); but not cataclysmic. Attempt has been made to slow down corrosion in the past (suspect mask the issues to some extent); but using black waxoyl or similar. Seems like minimal attempt to manage/inhibit rust inside chassis members, resulting in some deterioration, but largely able to be remedied I reckon. I intend to use Bilt Hamber products to get this nipped in the bud before the Oxidation goes proper mental - haha

Hello Paul and welcome to the forum :thumbup:

Rear axle turrets are usually the first to suffer because the drain holes get blocked , i eventually got around to drilling mine out . https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/kzj90-first-used-may-12th-1998.148004/
Thanks Shayne; turrets look hooped on this axle, will def aim to get the turret bases opened up on the replacement...

Any information on retrofitting rear diff innards to a new axle housing and/or finding the appropriate final drive gear ratio?

First look into this, seems like a fair amount of expense; but hey ho; here we go! :)

The ratio will be printed on a big white sticker on the front diff tube . Milners sell a new axle housing i think but thankfully its not something i've done so i can't really help any more than that sorry .

The diff lock actuator is a common fail as they corrode and fall to bits or seize due to lack of use but there's so many 90's being broke i think i'd be looking for a decent condition full used axle because for the rear diff itself to give up on the 90 series is almost unheard of i think .

Just a quick hello from me; a very new Landcruiser owner

Your name: Paul
Your Cruiser: KZJ95R-GKMNTW ; 2000W ; 79k miles
Mods on Cruiser : None at present
Plans for Cruiser : a) Clean off rust areas (plenty of it); weld small area of chassis; replace/repair spring mounts and brackets on rear axle (or get new rear axle) - sort ALL the suspension components - sort the brakes out - fit a DVD/SATNAV double DIN - get the rear lights in a better state (rather than just the ones in the bumper - might retrofit a cruise control capability - tune the engine for efficiency - K&N filter - tidy up the wheels - fit awesome tyres.
Cruiser Usage: This cruiser will be a family hauler; boat mover; all round battle-bus. Id like to give it a lift kit perhaps later in life; but lots to do before that.

4x4 Experience:
Minimal; have done a few offroad driving courses in the past; but never owned a 4x4 before.

Going to likely need plenty of input on the rear axle issues I can anticipate; so many thanks in advance for any help anyone can input.

Will send pics and updates as items get done.

Wish me luck...! haha

PT

Sounds like a good low mileage truck, I take it its the pre D4D facelift model with the 3 spoke wheels? Fitting a CC to this model might be problematic but not impossible unlike the D4D which is a £20/half hour job.
Rust seems to be the Achilles Heel of Colorados, the rear half of the chassis, sills, rear arches, all seem to suffer from the dreaded tin worm. Like Shayne said, the rear axles suffer badly too and rot through so the oil leaks out and also the turrets break off primarily due to the drain holes blocking up and water standing where it shouldn't.
I've had 2 Collies ( a D4D and a V6) but bought one well, ie was in great condition, and was lucky with the other, a low mileage mint barn find so didn't have the issues of rust/bodywork/ rear axle and loved them both but ultimately sold them both to buy a 120. From what I've seen of others around they are getting a bit crusty and they are pretty much all the same these days.
As mentioned by Shayne there are plenty being broken these days but I suspect they all are suffering from the same symptoms, thats why they are being broken, beyond economic repair.
There is a guy called Stefan Burton who a lot of us know who breaks Collies down in Devon area, he might be able to help. You can look him up on FB or PM me and I'll pass you his number.
I think one or two members on here have retro fitted bulbs to the upper lights ( I could never figure out why they didn't use them) but the lower ones were how they came from the factory.
I gave my D4D a 2" lift with a Pedders kit, Fitted 275 tyres on 80 series wheels, looked fabby, ruined the ride though, so its something to consider, but you will need a lift of some sort if you want bigger tyres.
IMG_0947.JPG

Just to show std Vs 2"lift and bigger tyres.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think one or two members on here have retro fitted bulbs to the upper lights ( I could never figure out why they didn't use them) but the lower ones were how they came from the factory.

Think the law change just as the 90 was about to go into production meaning the upper lights were null and void because when the rear door is open the spare tyre hides one , so the bumper lights (which also rot) were a last minute added bodge from Toyota themselves .

Both my 90's have good axles , both in reasonably good all round condition , but i'm in no doubt an insurance company would send them to a scrapyard if i tried to claim for a new wing mirror or some such thing :icon-rolleyes:

Back