Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi All,

Fred woodman

Country Flag
great_britain
I own a 80 series Landcruiser 1992, had for 18months. It died last wednesday. My friend and I think the relay converter has packed up. Any ideas how to by pass this problem or where may have 1 in stock, as I use the truck every day for work.
Thanks Fred

HI Fred. Errm, relay converter? Can you explain a bit more about the problem? Not sure that's actually a thing.

Do you mean the 12/24v changeover relay (the relay sat behind the passenger side battery)? Converting the starting setup to 12v by removing this relay and fitting a 12v starter has been done by quite a few owners so getting hold of a 2nd hand relay shouldn't be that difficult. Either that or do the afore mentioned 12v conversion.

Edit.....If it is this relay and you want a replacement try either karl webster or chapel gate, two forum members, who can supply many new and used parts.

Last edited:
If it's a starting issue then the number one culprit is usually one of the batteries. The starting system is incredibly reliable - well mostly. But really so we're not just shooting in the dark here you need to describe what's going on.

Yeh as Chris has said, Give us a few more specifics. Petrol/Diesel Auto /manual.... What Died??? There are a few on here that can diagnose pretty quick,,,,,,, Once we know the issue.... Good luck

Fred, if its the 12/24v switchover unit, I have one spare if you need one.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks to all who replied. I am going to change to a 12v system for starting. If I still need more info I'll be in touch.
The truck just stopped starting wednesday pm. aa came out finally started it with a wire from the starter motor to his jump pack then to my positive terminal on the battery near side. truck started then, restarted 3 times after. 9.30pm truck didn't start. So i thought it was the starter motor, but when fitted new 1 nothing?? So i came to the conclusion to either the starter relay needed replacing or convert to 12v. Can get 12v conversion done on wednesday.

Sounds like batteries to me, get the simple things checked first, batteries, earths, etc spring to mind.

.+1. In the 16 yrs I've owned my LC, the only time it's ever let me down was due to batteries.

If the starter was at fault I can't quite see how using a jump start would work. Now you"ve fitted a new starter anyway, fully charge both batteries and get them drop tested individually.

Where are you sourcing the 12v starter motor from. Make sure it is the correct one. Pinion teeth count can be different.

yes, rule number one. never presume.

simple and cheap first.

Back