Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi and thanks

LC80GD

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi

New member here...previously had Land Rovers and Jeeps but our LC80 was saved from the crusher 18 months ago and we fell in love with her. She is called Libby and is a 1997 4.5 with an LPG conversion. She is mainly used for towing our horse trailer around all over the country and with just 135k on the clock we are hoping she will continue to do so for many years to come.

We headed up to the overland adventure show at Stratford today but didn't get chance to chat to any LC owners.....however we were overtaken by a red 80 and a blue/silver 80 heading southbound on the m40 in the afternoon who waved as they went past.....it was like being back in a defender. Hi and thanks to those two drivers who had this website on their cars.

Hoping to meet other LC owners....we are based near Reading.

Thanks

Gavin

Welcome Gav.
That would be the Young Sam and his not as young dad Andy lol.

Shame you didn't wander over to meet some of us but at least you have found the clan.

I'm sure you will be more than happy with the forum and the help you will get if needed.

Hi Gav,

Yes that was me (the old man!) in the silver one & Sam in the red one!

Pity we didn't see u for a chat at the show, never mind next time, or at one of our regular Lincomb meets,

We're all quite a friendly bunch on here

Andy

Thanks Andy (And Sam)

I'll let you know if we are down Eastbourne way. Our LC was not loved for a good number of years so I'm sure I'll be on here regularly looking for advice as we bring her back to her former glory.

What goes on at the Lincomb meets?

Thanks

G

Thanks Andy (And Sam)

I'll let you know if we are down Eastbourne way. Our LC was not loved for a good number of years so I'm sure I'll be on here regularly looking for advice as we bring her back to her former glory.

What goes on at the Lincomb meets?

Thanks

G

Weekend camp.
Off road driving if you wish.
Punch challenge.
Some driving games again this time I think.
General pxxs taking.
Lots of cruiser talk.
Bit more pxxs taking.
Giving trevor a hard time.
Beers round the fire.
Give trevor a bit more grief.

That's about it :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Usually someone has a field fix going on. Good to watch and learn some tips on how to do things.

Only you weren't on the hard shoulder with the bonnet up :eusa-naughty:
You beat me to that, i was gonna mention the drafty doors and bad back the driving position gives you..

Welcome Gavin and congratulations on the 80 purchase. Lincomb is a club meet that is well worth attending if you can; its the biggest gathering of 80 series Land Cruisers in the U.K. (all Land Cruisers are welcome and many other series examples will be present, but 80s are usually the most prevalent). With so many Land Cruiser owners in one place, in a social setting, it's a great opportunity to learn about the finer details of 80 ownership.

Regarding your LPG'd 80 series, LPG can cause cylinder head damage (valve recession) due to lack of lubrication from the absent fuel, it's not uncommon to find LPG equipped Land Cruisers being sold with engine problems due to clocking up high mileages on LPG. I'd do some research into LPG lubrication systems (Flash lube is one I've heard about on here) as if you're planning to keep the 80 a long time and using it to tow, it may be worth some preventative maintenance.

Welcome along, about time we had some more 80's that run on real fuel :lol::dance:

As Scott has said with the lpg a lube system is worthwhile if you're keeping it long term ( i don't have lpg)

Welcome Gavin, there's always a Lincombe meet up or next year. As you've already found out this is a friendly forum with great folks on it. You've certainly found the right place for help making your Cruiser great again.

Now, do us all a favour and post up some pics of Libby. It's been said before I know but we do love pics on here :)

Welcome gav

Like everyone has already said we’re a friendly bunch here and we love pics from what I saw of Libby she is the best colour :)

Welcome gav

Like everyone has already said we’re a friendly bunch here and we love pics from what I saw of Libby she is the best colour :)
You should pop over to lincomb this weekend if you're free. It's a great weekend.

Thanks for all the responses guys....as requested some pics of Libby attached for you.

She was vandalised a couple of years ago with pots of different red paint poured all over her. The roof is still pretty bad but between a couple of us we have managed to removed the worst of it across the sides and bonnet. She was written off by the insurance company and sat in a scrip yard for a while.

In some of the photos the body work looks ok but up close it is very rough so I need to work out what to do next to brighten it and protect it more long term.

Since having her she has had a new LPG tank and very heavy duty tow bar fitted. Thanks for the heads up on the LPG system....will definitely have a look.

I have also built her a shelf unit in the boot for all of the wife's horsey kit (which there is a lot of) and it provides storage for the spare wheel because of the LPG tank. My OCD kicked in an I even carpeted and varnished the shelf to match the interior.

The main concern is she has now had chassis corrosion advisories on her chassis at MOT, the back end did look like she had been used previously to tow boats in and out of salt water. Was going to take it to Nene Overland in Maidenhead for them to take a look and advise how bad it is. Anyone else suffered with this?

She is the best tow car we have ever had and happily cruises with a couple of tonne on the back up and down the country.

Looking forward to meeting up with you all....

G

Screenshot_20170925-094839.png
Screenshot_20170925-094849.png
Screenshot_20170925-094551.png

Nice looking bus you have there! I have definetley suffered from rot around that area, I think that's what mine was used for too towing boats. We just cut about a foot of chassis off and started again. Sleaved it for more strength. 5mm box section. Looks like this

IMG_20170422_160540.jpg

Back