Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi from Gilghana in the Caprivi Strip at the moment!

Gilmour Dickson

Hi folks, registered with my real name as requested, but most of my friends call me Gil!
I also have drifted in from the other site - but due to PMs from Gary Stockton and Gavlad on iH8MUD. Some of you will know I am on a big trip in Southern Africa at the moment after jacking in our jobs in West Africa. The vehicle is an HZJ78 with a whole bunch of heavy stuff on and in it and a turbo bolted on to compensate for some of that. I have worked with/driven to breaking point numerous LCs in Ghana over 14 years, and while using cruisers professionally I also had a Defender which I loved. There can be room in one's heart for both, but yes I know they are fickle damn things. I will try to cross post some stuff and other blurb for those that I haven't bored yet and in the meantime thanks to Gary and Gav for showing me the path. We are planning a Euro sojourn over a few months of the summer, but that won't (at least probably not) be in a LC as I have my heart set on a Renault Kangoo 4x4 with some eBay camping stuff in the back. This of course means that we don't have a bloody clue what to do next with our lives so in the meantime we just try to enjoy... we will settle down soon as we can figure how to stay in Southern Africa as our hearts are in Africa but not necessarily the sweaty jungles of the west!

I am a bit out of the loop obviously at the moment, but this site seems a nice balanced place with all the usual suspects and good knowledge here! Cool. I have noticed TLCOCUK being a bit quiet - now I know why!
Gil

Welcome to the fold Gil. :D
Chas

Welcome, Gil - glad you found us eventually. I sent you a PM on LCCSA as well ;)

Enjoy the Caprivi!

Cheers,

Cossack said:
Welcome to the fold Gil. :D
Chas
Ha, ha, ha, :lol: :lol:
Thats brilliant ''Welcom to the FOLD'
My god Chaz, -----And you really did fold it :o

Graham

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Basically a single control freak admin in the other place, who ran the site for his own benefit (read £££) and had no particular LC connection. Requests to make changes to the forum that would benefit the membership were ignored for weeks and when enough fuss was made to get attention, the requests were usually rejected out of hand.
Posts that didn't meet arbitrary guidelines got zapped without explanation - references to ebay created an unhealthy level of paranoia too. :roll:

So this club was created to provide a forum that provides what members want and has the flexibility to respond and adapt to requests. No commercial motivation here - commercial outfits want to mention deals, no problem but they post in a section identified as being commercial, so our members know who/what they're dealing with. Obviously they need to be selling stuff relevant to LCs, not tinted glasses or laser eye surgery or magic blue pills :twisted:
There are also more modmins around to respond to requests etc - we're not perfect but we're trying :lol:
I think that about covers it.

Cheers,

need to learn to type faster... ill post anyway

Welcome to the forum Gil

Basically we were tired of having an admin imposing weird rules on us only when he remembered to log on, which was about once every 3-6 months before it all kicked off. Admin used to never reply to emails like 'please could u add a 150 series and 200 series section' and he needed to be summoned by collective chanting in threads to get his attention. then the ebay link thing was the catalyst which is why we are all here. there are also pm privacy matters as well which came to light after this site was online. I think that sums it up without going into too much detail.

Rob said:
he needed to be summoned by collective chanting in threads to get his attention.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I get images of all of us in African war masks jumping round a fire...

Welcome Gil - not happy with you being in the Caprivi :evil: :lol: :lol:

How's the water levels there - big floods on the way I suspect, and the Delta is going to be fantastic later in the year - more impala and lechwe than you can shake a fist at :D

Hopefully we can hook up for that braii later in the year when you get here!

Cheers

No good simply shaking your fist at them Gary - you need .375 at least. Maybe even a .458! :lol:

"Oh look, it's Gary, what's he doing'?"
"I dunno man, looks like he's waaving or something"
"Ja, just as well he can't shoot worth a damn, eh. Come on lets go for a beer, right?"
"I hear that he's a vegetarian, anyway"
"No way, man, really?"
"What I hear. Loves root vegetables"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris

Hi Gil.

Welcome to the club buddy!

Hope you have a wonderful time down in the Caprivi.
Cant wait to see your pics!

Enjoy your trip!

African Drifter

Well I think a .375 would be a bit of overkill for a poor little Impala Chris ;-)
Water levels were not bad, but the Okavango river is really moving, and a good few weeks ago when we were in Maun people were expecting a really high flood, and when we were in Savuti access to Moremi was getting very tough. Looks like my planned EU trip (in a Kangoo) might have to be on hold as we tentatively might have found jobs in Zambia :D - will keep you posted!
Thanks for the explanation and details about the exodus! Caprivi was stunning - Lions copulating and chasing Impala!
Thanks again guys.

Welcome Gil,

Gilmour Dickson said:
Caprivi was stunning - Lions copulating and chasing Impala!

You can just imagine the Impala's going "Those f*£king lions, they just won't leave us alone!" :)

Back