Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi from south devon

Joe_W

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi,

So after owning a couple of hilux's and becoming a big Toyota fan I have finally purchased a 1998 Amazon GX 4.2td Auto :grimacing: A 600 mile round trip to collect her, but so worth it and the 5 hour drive home definitely gave us some bonding time!

Soo plans are to:
- use as my daily driver with the occasional bit of towing
- road trip down west coast france, spain and portugal later this year - looking at roof tents, what are people experiences with these? are the hard top ones worth the extra money?

Im also looking for any advice into maintenance. It is in great condition with 129k on the clock timing belt done 6k ago. Body work excellent (for a 20yr old truck) and underneath is good. There is surface rust but its all solid but planning on treating this and have read some good threads about products.

Is there anything i need to know or things to look for with this model?? Ive done a fair bit of homework but its always great to hear people own experience and advice!

Thanks
Joe

IMG_3998.JPG
IMG_4003.JPG

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Joe, some photies would go down nicely... :thumbup:

Have you looked at Dan the Drifters posts.... Dont want to put the fear of god into you or get you to open up a big can of worms.. But Dans posts are a good read... Especially the one Cleaning the Crud from the EGR/ exhaust/ etc ... Looks a nice Truck All the Best... Good luck Joe

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Joe, looking good in the photos.

Is it “navy” or black? (It could be either viewed on my iPad)... :thumbup:

Welcome Joe to the forum, smart looking Hundie you have there. The GX without the AHC would always be my choice.

Just by chance if you are looking for a "Hundie" sized hard shell best make I have one spare if you are interested, you already have the roof bars !!

IMG_1438.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG

PM me if your'e interested.

Welcome Joe. I was going to suggest contacting Andy about the Maggiolina but I thought you had missed the boat.

Here’s how it sits on an almost identical vehicle. Your three bars would be ideal for it.

A44A4F29-64C4-49A1-A70E-FEC3664BAD32.jpeg

As for your note about rust ... the pic above was taken at Krown in Dudley. One of the best pieces of advice I’ve been given on this wonderful forum was to go and see Rob there about rustproofing. He will spend the best part of a day going over, assessing and treating every inch of your truck for around £300. It’s an outstanding small business and the workmanship is superb. I was in the area last week and he squeezed me in for a FOC topup in critical areas. Can’t recommend it enough. EDIT: Mention the Land Cruiser Club and they might give you a small discount.

Thanks fo
Welcome Joe. I was going to suggest contacting Andy about the Maggiolina but I thought you had missed the boat.

Here’s how it sits on an almost identical vehicle. Your three bars would be ideal for it.

View attachment 153563
Thanks for the mention Jacob. I've a set of those roof bars too and was considering putting the Maggi on the 100 but have never got round to it. I think we would be ground tenting if we were stopping in one place and I've still got the smaller Maggi on the 80.

Have you looked at Dan the Drifters posts.... Dont want to put the fear of god into you or get you to open up a big can of worms.. But Dans posts are a good read... Especially the one Cleaning the Crud from the EGR/ exhaust/ etc ... Looks a nice Truck All the Best... Good luck Joe
Thanks! some great info in those posts, crazy how much build up there can be!
Thanks Joe, looking good in the photos.

Is it “navy” or black? (It could be either viewed on my iPad)... :thumbup:

Its navy. il get some better photos at some point, was just getting dark when i took these!

Hi Joe.

Where abouts in south devon are you?

Im from Yealmpton

Welcome Joe to the forum, smart looking Hundie you have there. The GX without the AHC would always be my choice.

Just by chance if you are looking for a "Hundie" sized hard shell best make I have one spare if you are interested, you already have the roof bars !!

View attachment 153560
View attachment 153561

Thanks Andy, I will send you a message

View attachment 153563

That looks awesome! Must be a fair size inside? Planning on taking my girlfriend and our 1 yr old on some trips so need as much room up there as we can! Thanks for the info about the place in Dudley. Definitely sounds worth a visit, its a fair way from here but it does sound worth it. On the other hand was thinking of doing it myself with Dinitrol products. I will keep everyone posted with progress

As for your note about rust ... the pic above was taken at Krown in Dudley. One of the best pieces of advice I’ve been given on this wonderful forum was to go and see Rob there about rustproofing. He will spend the best part of a day going over, assessing and treating every inch of your truck for around £300. It’s an outstanding small business and the workmanship is superb. I was in the area last week and he squeezed me in for a FOC topup in critical areas. Can’t recommend it enough. EDIT: Mention the Land Cruiser Club and they might give you a small discount.

Thanks for all you comments and info, highly appreciated!

That looks awesome! Must be a fair size inside? Planning on taking my girlfriend and our 1 yr old on some trips so need as much room up there as we can!

Our son was between six and eighteen months when we used it. Very rare extra wide model so pretty much like sharing a large double bed.

View attachment 153560
View attachment 153561

Hi Andrew, I don't seem to be able to PM you. Have clicked on your profile and on my inbox but no option to PM. Could well be interested in the tent. Can you message me and i will hopefully be able to reply.

Cheers

Back