Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi Neighbor!

Stoneburner

Country Flag
united_states
Hello from Rhode Island.
I am not yet an owner but hope to be soon. I’m trying to decide between the series 80 and 100 for a specific trip I intend on buying for. No serious off roading intentions, however, the trip will include driving the Dalton hwy up to Deadhorse (from Rhode Island). I intend on purchasing a diesel from Southern Europe (no rust and maybe some Sahara clout). I’m just getting into cars - I am indeed my father’s daughter and I think this is making him proud but I’m still learning so please be kind (;
Hope to find the right portal to ask some questions about the 80 vs 100, thank you in advance!

Welcome to the forum. Lots of great minds on here that will be able to help.

Personally I have a 100series. I chose this over an 80 for comfort and less extreme use. Both are great vehicles and have pros and cons.

Have you checked out import requirements, I think you have some strict rules around that.

Let me know if you want to know more about the 100.

Yes, good point! Thank you. 25 years or 21 (for epa) for headache free export. I need to research the latter which would bring me into 1999 - and that looks to be the beginning of the 100 series.
Would you say that the 100 is just an all round more comfortable ride or are there variables in build that would make a difference in overall reliability?

I also have a 100, used daily on the road but being in Zimbabwe it gets the occasional off road adventure.. I'm fairly new to off road driving so I don't push my luck but I have to say the 100 series is very capable off road, It's more capable than I am brave so far. Super comfy as well. Mine is a 1998 and the has most of the mod cons you'd expect from a much newer vehicle.

I am not an expert on those markets but from what I can see on websites like Autoscout24 prices for the large wagons (80, 100 etc) can be very punchy in countries like Italy, Spain and Portugal. You are right about rust being the main thing to look out for but it may be wise to cast your net wider.

Have you come across the 105? Best of both worlds. Very few made it over to Europe but they are out there.

If I remember rightly there was someone who was going to import trucks from South America know its somewhere in the pages maybe a member can help find it for you and if you buy it from a US company you should have some come back if things go wrong good luck with your search

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thank you. Many fond memories of visiting Zim! from when my family was living in SA.
So, a good hello to you from the US. It’s looking like I’m in for the series 80 for the moment

I am not an expert on those markets but from what I can see on websites like Autoscout24 prices for the large wagons (80, 100 etc) can be very punchy in countries like Italy, Spain and Portugal. You are right about rust being the main thing to look out for but it may be wise to cast your net wider.

Have you come across the 105? Best of both worlds. Very few made it over to Europe but they are out there.

thank you. By punch
good to know, by punchy I imagine that means overpriced?
thanks will look into the 105

If I remember rightly there was someone who was going to import trucks from South America know its somewhere in the pages maybe a member can help find it for you and if you buy it from a US company you should have some come back if things go wrong good luck with your search
Great thank you!

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your choice but don't forget the little 90 series! #Proud Owner!

Attachments

• 20200620_161958.jpg
    20200620_161958.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
Back