Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi timing belt problems need help

Craigmorley

Country Flag
uk
Hi there just doing water pump and belt replacement. On my 1kzt engine out of my kzj70 and aligned cam shaft pulley up and the fuel pump pulley but checked to make sure crank pulley is aligned aswell and it’s not.... it’s about 25degrees our has any one got any ideas on why and what could I do to fix it ?? Cheers
Oh and I’m desperate now ‍♂️

Take the belt off and align all three, be absolutely certain you are lining up the correct mark on the crank with the correct mark on the block. Make sure it is in neutral before doing this otherwise it is possible leaning against the front could rotate the engine. Then do the cam shaft and the pump. Check they are in line and fit the belt noting the correct direction of travel. Fit the tensioner and check the belt is at the correct tension. Rotate the engine with a socket and ratchet on the crank pulley one full turn until it is inline with the correct timing mark on the block. Check cam and pump are spot on. Check tension. Adjust if necessary. Once all correct, you should be good to go but just check it again to be sure. Once more and when you’re absolutely sure all is correct, reassemble any other parts then start.
All should be well. Just check for leaks and make absolutely sure your coolant system is full and has no air trapped at the top. Make sure hoses get warm.
Then let us know how you got on.

This is my old cambelt????ive stripped the fuel pump off of engine and turbo along with inlet and exhaust manifold make sure waste gate works properly as it should,
The fuel pump I’m sending away to get serviced and reconditioned with injectors. No2 injector is leaking I noticed once took it all apart.... so once everything comes back spray pattern should be 100% along with mechanical fuel Pump.
Then I’ll be fitting new water pump and cam belt
The old cam belt has that much play in it I could pull it off with out taking tensioner off... never seen anything like it ever tbh
But looking beyond that I’ve set cam shaft pulley on to tdc maker and I had set fuel pump pulley to the mark but the crank pulley was 25degrees out from its marker.... bear in mind it ran fine before and also the fuel pump and crank turn together as set with timing gears behind a cover, so can’t turn just one because they both turn.... maybe I thought that the harmonic balancer pulley (crank pulley) had shifted so will get new one of those aswell to eliminated this problem but mean while will be checking waste gate and turbo cleaning it all up refitting that while waiting for my pump to come back
I can’t seem to load a video of the cam belt so you can see just how loose it actually was

The lower half of the engine is gear driven so you should only be concerned with the cam pulley mark and the pump timing mark.. the lower crank pulley mark will never change with regards to the pump timing mark.. as for that to be different it would mean to take the gear cover off and change the gears around..

Sounds like the cam tensioner unit was shot for the belt to be so loose..

Are you well Craig? Long time no see!!

Thanks for that that’s a good weight off my shoulders as three people have told me that now.... But yes mate I’m good thanks I went to call you the other day but haven’t got your number as changed phones, but yea all good here
How’s it your end???
Are you on face book Iwan????

Once I fit cambelt I’ll time cam and pump together and just turn it over a few times via ratchet and make sure nothing hits as it was running before this so should be fine
I hope

Back