Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi

sim303

Country Flag
uk
Hi there

Another new user & new owner here. My name is Simon and I'm in the SE of England. I bought my first Cruiser a few months ago, Sept 2016 - a 2002 Amazon VX 4.2 TD (100). At 169k I think it's in generally good shape, but I've been working through a few neglected niggles - electric window bounce, broken door mirror, a couple of broken trim pieces etc, battery not charging (new alternator) and of course a good clean-through etc. New fluids throughout, plus a precautionary timing belt change, all new stereo, speakers and amp, and a nice split-charge system. Work continues to turn it into a tourer / camper.

Years ago - late nineties - I had 63 SIIA Land Rover, so things have moved on a little :)

Would be good to see some pics as you go :)

Split-charge? Sounds like the beginnings of a nice project!

Hi Simon, welcome to the forum. The 100 is a nice truck, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Check it carefully for rust (especially the tailgates) as they're getting on in age, then rust proof it fully and it'll last just like that 4.2TD will.

Good to see another SE member.

Welcome aboard Simon, nice truck and intro :thumbup:

Photos are obligatory, otherwise the sceptics on here won't believe a word of it :lol:

Welcome Simon, great intro. I've had a few LC's over the years but my "Hundie" is my favourite.
We look forward to posts of your work on the truck as well as pics. :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Simon, welcome. As Crispin said, photos. We love photos :)

Hi Simon and welcome. As said, we love photos here. Sounds like a good project vehicle. Look forward to seeing it. We're a really friendly bunch on here so you've come to the right place. Where abouts in the south east are you?

Best wishes
Richard

Oh no! I missed so many welcoming replies! I feel bad now :) Thank you everyone for such a welcome. At last I have the chance to write :)

I'm keeping a worklog of all the jobs I've done - I'm amazed how they add up! I am lucky if I can do one, maybe two days work per week on the Cruiser - I have to do the work at my parents' house as I have no drive or workshop :( But somehow, since late September, my job log is approaching 100 lines!

In retrospect I think my truck has not always had the best attention, maybe I should have held out (and stumped up more £££), but 100s don't come up too often and I was anxious to get one before the winter so that I would have the winter to get it ready for summer trips. But instead I see it as a chance to systematically go through as many points as possible, getting them back to good shape. That means that when I finally make some trips I'll not only have some confidence that the important things have been attended to, but that I also have practical experience of working on the vehicle, and understand how it's put together. That counts for a lot in my book.

The main things I've done so far are the CTEK dual charge system and auxiliary power distribution, new fluids all round (except transmission, still to do), all belts, water pump, alternator, decent stereo, amp and sub, decent bulbs, epoxy-mastic rear floor (love that stuff), optima battery, interior valet, fix / replace broken trim bits etc, wheel alignment...

These last two weekends I have replaced the rear shocks and rear springs, and three of the four AHC spheres. Oh god, getting those shocks off is a total ******! I must admit I lost a lot of my latent respect for Japanese engineering during that episode! :)) How in hell's name anyone is expected to get those top bolts on and off when they are siezed is just beyond belief, when all it would take would be an access hole in the floor above to make it ten times easier. In the end I did what everyone else seems to do - used a holesaw in the floor panel to allow access from above. Even then it's key-hole surgery! Still it's done now - the only problem is that one of the AHC spheres is totally stuck on, so I've only been able to fit three so far :( Not sure how I'm going to get it off!

@Scott - I'm ahead of you - I fully intend to take the truck to Rustbusters once my major work underneath is done. The underneath is quite rusty, but I think/hope that most of it is fairly supperficial and doesn't affect the integrity of the car too much. But nevertheless I want it dealt with! They do Dinitrol for £5-600, but I am tempted to splash out for the full epoxy-mastic process - that stuff is awesome. I used it in the load bay, but I don't have the patience or equipment to do a full underbody clean and treatment.

I had a terrible time getting all the underbody panels off - virtually every bolt was ridiculously tight and just sheared off! It took me an entire weekend to repair them all :(( The Japanese seem to favour rubber bolts! I fit stainless repacements as a matter of course....

I must also find a way to get the spare wheel off - I don't have the security key for the wire crane :( Any workarounds?? Once that's off I can get the chassis treated, and I can get access underneath the loadbay for mounting the drawer system I am building :)

Oh and I need to find out why the rear diff lock appears not to be working.... :/

I haven't organised my pics, but here are a couple I have here on my computer...

Thanks again everyone, for the warm welcome - I have a feeling I will be calling on you for advice before long!

Simon

20161229_154352.jpg 20170225_145121.jpg

Back