Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HID Kits

warrenpfo

I have run a search on HID and came up with a post back in 2005 so thought i would ask if anyone is running one of the new kits and what they thought. The 100 i find has good brights but quite poor low beam. I have been told that HID's work best on low beam as they take a few moments to warm up.

Was thinking a 6000k Kit over a 8000k kit.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/H4-SLIM-LINE-XENO ... 53ddfc42b8

your 100 should have HB4's not H4's. FWIW I run HIR bulbs and never wish dip beam was any brighter in fact I run with mine pointing at the ground most of the time

Jon

I will check the bulbs to make sure the previous owner has not used the wrong ones to start with.

On googling it seems one can only get the bulbs from abroard. Is there a UK supplier?

http://hirheadlights.com/

That's where I got mine from and they work well, I got two sets of high and low beam so I'd have spares.

Just get a set of HID spots. It is just a much more sturdy and robust option. I went that way and it works a treat.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Please don't (apart from them being illegal)

I do alot of road miles in a non cruiser and have had to invest in nighttime driving glasses because of those type lights.

I think powerful spots or upgraded high beams are the answer.

Paul said:

I do alot of road miles in a non cruiser and have had to invest in nighttime driving glasses because of those type lights.

Hi Paul

I don't know which lamps you are referring to, but I guess you mean Hid's and I had mine set up by the main dealer when I fitted them and they don't blind on coming drivers.

They just give a whiter light,(if you use the right colour range) but I do find I don't need the high beam as much as they give out a better light pattern.

oh and it has passed the last three MOT's without a hitch

Steve Wright said:
Paul said:

Hi Paul
oh and it has passed the last three MOT's without a hitch
Mine too, but what does the MOT tester test for?

I do mean hid lights.
Unless they have auto self levelling they are illegal, one of those items that gets missed on the mot as its not on the list of tested items.
Even the proper factory fit jobbies i dont like, i consider them a right pita, especially those BMW ones that you can set to "auto dip" from high to low beam that i consider do not dip fast enough.
Bit of a rant i suppose, but with the miles i do they make me swear quite often.

I'll shut up now.

You are not alone in disliking them Paul, I would say more but to be quite honest it wouldn't be pleasant.

From my understanding these are NOT HID'S but rather updated bulbs. There is no talk of balasts etc and I can use my original wiring harness with no worries. These are legal as are E rated which complies to EU regulations.

What I need to know is if the above two listed bulbs are the correct replacment bulbs for the high and low beams?

I thing people may have jumped to conclusions as they are being sold under the Hid site. Saying that I may have it all wrong but that is my understanding.

I think it is the thread title that will have made us assume you're asking about HID's Warren :) I don't know anything about the PIAA bulbs just that when I've read up on 'brighter' bulbs I usually end up finding an article saying the claims are smoke and mirrors and or they have a very short life expectancy. I couldn't see any mention of how the PIAA bulbs are generating the extra output?

Sorry for the confusion the way the thread has gone we have moved to other option other that HIDs due to the PITA to fit and the dislike for them on the road.

I will call the company to get some feed back and let you all know how I get on.

Back