Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

High mile 80s

Sorry its loaded the wrong page.... There was a detailed story and pics.... Lord knows where its gone... Ah! nevermind.

Where's it gone??
It was an online story from an old Farmers Weekly going back to 2015 i think.... It was just an Interesting story about Japanese 4x4s That were built in the 90s refusing to Die etc etc ..Land Cruisers mainly.. I was looking on the MUD site and How Aus/USA, and Africa seem to celebrate, and are proud of their High mileage Land Cruisers (Im talking over 200,000)..... But here we seem to think its something to avoid and because its High Miles its obviously Shagged... Just my Thoughts.:think:

The mileage bit about the read was right. Mileage on the 80s dont bother me personally

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It was an online story from an old Farmers Weekly going back to 2015 i think.... It was just an Interesting story about Japanese 4x4s That were built in the 90s refusing to Die etc etc ..Land Cruisers mainly.. I was looking on the MUD site and How Aus/USA, and Africa seem to celebrate, and are proud of their High mileage Land Cruisers (Im talking over 200,000)..... But here we seem to think its something to avoid and because its High Miles its obviously Shagged... Just my Thoughts.:think:
I want to put as many miles on my 80 as possible!

I know the lad with the 80 in the article.
Top bloke. Something wrong with you if you can fall out with Ant.

Nip down here and give me a hand with this Transfer Box... That should put another 600 miles on Her!:lol:

OK, let me just finish this brew..
:icon-biggrin:

I want to put as many miles on my 80 as possible!

I know the lad with the 80 in the article.
Top bloke. Something wrong with you if you can fall out with Ant.

You are the same type of people. that's all I need to say.

These 200K 80's and 100's usually run virtually as good as new if they have been maintained and driven well. 120's too, one of the local lads ( the one who bought my Maggi) has a 120 with 264k miles. Its just had its injectors changed as it was really driving him mad and its transformed it and sounds like new again.
As Karl inferred, mileage is secondary to condition with these trucks.

In the FJ60 Wheeler Dealers episode posted up in another thread on here, Ant Anstead was extolling the virtues of the marque claiming ‘the only thing that can kill a Landcruiser is rust’. I guess someone who’s bought a bad one will tell another story bought it shows the reputation they have in the trade.

I agree with Towpack...

"It's all about bodywork and trim! Mechanics are replaceable or repairable!"

Mark my word! As they get older..

The principal has changed with the introduction of electronics but the 80's 4.2 was designed and built on the end of an era when a commercial engine regardless of what purpose it was put to often represented the buyers single most expensive life time investment .

Most wood boats in the commercial fishing fleet are still working daily on the same engine fitted 50 years ago .

How many old Leyland buses were scrapped because the engine gave up , Bedford TK , Black Cabs , Tractors , Diggers ? Blah mileage is just a number ............... unless its modern

1009.jpg

Farmboymark
Dec 12, 2013

24821-2c0bf23218c9720577bb4dfab43eddad.jpg
Been thinking about for the last week since we started doing some drains in the yard at home
Sitting on our 1968 old
G reg jcb mk1 3c
What's the oldest farm machine still in use on a regular ish basis?
This is the digger, she's no spring chicken but is quicker than a spade

I got looking into the High mile thing 'coz' i just bought a 1997 24v with 320,000 on the clock. It has every single receipt and invoice since new, Full service history, The Guy had it 16yrs and put 170,000 on it.. Today iv driven 225miles and im Staggered how smooth and responsive it is No rust at all in the usual places. Chassis fantastic, Inner wings and rear quarters as good as new. And the manual gear box is smooth, No notchy Changes. and a nice strong clutch.... Its not showroom condition .... So its going to have a full service (All oils and fluids) and get put to work.... So thanks for the Positivity on high mile Cruisers. I got it at the right Money so iv nothing to lose.... I Love it.:thumbup:

I got looking into the High mile thing 'coz' i just bought a 1997 24v with 320,000 on the clock. It has every single receipt and invoice since new, Full service history, The Guy had it 16yrs and put 170,000 on it.. Today iv driven 225miles and im Staggered how smooth and responsive it is No rust at all in the usual places. Chassis fantastic, Inner wings and rear quarters as good as new. And the manual gear box is smooth, No notchy Changes. and a nice strong clutch.... Its not showroom condition .... So its going to have a full service (All oils and fluids) and get put to work.... So thanks for the Positivity on high mile Cruisers. I got it at the right Money so iv nothing to lose.... I Love it.:thumbup:

Can't beat a high mile 24v.. mines coming upto 290k now and very happy to work hard! Love the 24v!

Back