Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

High Mileage 150's?

John Eagle

Country Flag
united_states
I'm looking at used Prado's, 150's, etc. and was considering viewing one for sale that is loaded with all the typical mod's, winch, front and rear steel bumpers, suspension lift, larger tyres. The thing is it has 200,000 km's on it. It appears to be in great shape with all the service records. So the question is how much mileage is too much? I read opinions on the 200 series saying 200k is nothing but can the same be said for the 150?

I have no idea, too new for me (!) but given Toyota's reputation for longevity, it would certainly have hit the news/forums if the engine was dubious. May be worth searching the net for independent product reviews and/or www:ih8mud.com
If it is anything like the majority of other Toyota engines, particularly earlier ones, then it is just run in.

Regards,

Rodger

Last edited:
Hey, Rodger! I hoped you would add your 2 cents! Got my eye on one in Fuengirola. There's a 100 series with 245k on it that looks like a good candidate too. Being a Yank I have to convert km to miles to get a feel for what I'm looking at.

Rodger, I was looking at an ad for a 150 and I understood most of it but can't seem to get a search on what they are referring to with the suspension. It reads as follows:
"suspension proflex off road regulable en compresion y extension con botella separada".
The only Proflex suspension I find relates to mountain bikes. Gotta clue what this is?

"proflex off road suspension adjustable in compression and extension with separate bottle"
Google translate.
I think it may be using a generic term 'proflex' when it is using adjustable shocks that have the separate bottle attached o trying to remember the make but they use them alot on OR competition vehicles.
That would be my gyess, for what it is worth.

Regards,

Rodger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Reading the second add I wonder if they both have air ride or adjustable suspension. Not much to choose between them - white one is newer with manual and the black one's wheels aren't my cup of tea (and the spare is stock size by the look of it)
I think the important thing here in Spain is that ALL the modifications to the vehicle are listed and detailed on the fisha technica. And that the certificates and E numbers are present.
If not be aware that it can be expensive and very time consuming to get the items approved (engineer's reports and dealing with Spanish red tape).

Regards,

Rodger

The white one has the rear locking differential option. The black one, just the standard center locking.

IMO that makes the white one a better buy.

Thinking of the mindset of the previous owners:
The white one has the extras that potentially improve the vehicle's all-ready excellent capability whereas the black one appears, to me, to be a bit showy. As we say in the UK 'all fur coat and no knickers'

Regards,

Rodger

I get that, Roger. My wife likes form, I'm looking at function. It's a battle of wills which most times she wins.

Hello John nice to have another English speaking Landcruiser enthusiast in Spain .Rodgers comment about all show & no go is IMO more common in Spain than the UK as the cost & complication of building a modified LC means that a (legal) home garage build is almost impossible. Oftern the money invested means that the vehicle has had a pampered life with a view to recuperating the investment. In the UK cheaper "prepared" 4x4s are often paggered & folks prefer a standard car to prepare themselves.Also in Spain homlogation issues can be a deal breaker
"Todo homologado en ficha técnica a falta de los neumáticos" If the tyres are more than 3% bigger than standard - as stated in the ficha technica - you need to homolgate them & even alter the speedometer.
I think you must be at least an honorary Brit as you know what a Yank is although i'm not sure if you know any real old skool Brits who refer to Fuengirola as funky roller ;-)

HaHa, goodoldboy, I'm from Texas! Been living here awhile and have some British friends here and there. Back stateside the sky's the limit what you can add to a 4x4. Inspections only cover emissions, condition of tyres, wipers etc. I had a Dodge 1500 with a suspension lift, heavy bumper and big bull bar. I got fired from one of those automated car washes that walk the vehicle through because my big tires jumped out of the track. And that truck was all show and no go. Never saw any real action.

I read with interest but the original title wasn't really answered, what is the deal with "High Mileage 150's?"
It is the D4D motor and these have seen a lot of work as construction vehicles in South Africa 'bakkies' and I have known one to give trouble at 200,000km

here's an interesting article on one that went a bit further:

the 3.0 litre D4D gives a lot of miles with minimal maintenance
change the oil and filters annually
and they're getting 250,000 miles and more
rust as always is the main concern,especially on salted winter roads

Back