Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

High Mileage 80 Series

woldstech

Please share your opinions about the pros and cons of buying / investing in a high Mileage (i.e > 215K miles) 1994 -1997 LC 80 with a Manual box? No SH - no maintenance records no documented past. I know these machines are built to last - but at these mileages I guess even these legendary trucks:icon-biggrin: require good quality care. For the sake of argument let's assume the buyer to be someone who is comfortable doing basic maintenance - but goes to a mechanic for anything beyond changing oils and other bodily fluids. Well, you guessed it right. I am talking about myself here to get the ball rolling.
Sorry if this question has been asked before.

Last edited:
This is of course only my opinion, but first is 215k miles high mileage?

secondly, it wholly depends on the type of servicing during those miles, which is unknown to you. At worst, this may be nil, not even an oil change, but it's unlikely. Most people, in the first 5 - 10 years of a prestige car like an 80, will ensure at the least, regular normal maintenance.

the engine is known to be good for 1,000,000km, but that could only be achieved with essential maintenance.

if it sounds good and drives well, then I would consider taking the gamble.

the problem areas will be what I consider to be disposables, meaning front wheel bearings, CV joints, front axle oil seals, and other such peripherals. Even with "maintenance" these are likely to be suspect on any 80, well cared for or otherwise.

I think you should be ready to have to do these, whatever condition the car is in.

For example, if I were to put a for sale sign in my car today, I can't offer any paper proof of maintenance whatsoever. By the standards of the UK cars I've seen recently on eblag and members of this forum, my car would appear to be nothing more than scrap value.

however, the truth is, mechanically it's very good. The front axle has had a complete rebuild with everything except the diff renewed.

it has 330k km on the clock, a few dents here and there, but it's solid mechanically (if you can ignore the lack of synchro on 3rd gear!).

you have to drive it, then make up your own mind, no easy answer to this one!

Totally agree with Clive on this one.

My personal truck has over 250k on it and is far better than ones I have drove with 130k miles on it.

You need to go inspect and drive it. Trucks that look well abused doesn't always make them bad mechanically.

By-the-way, don't forget the BEB warnings flying around. I havent done mine (yet) still trying to source a trustworthy mechanic to do it for me. Here I can save a fortune on VAT by paying cash with no papers.

Trouble is I'm left with no guarantees. Even if I have a paper, the guarantee would probably be worth nothing anyway! That's why I have to find someone who REALLY knows what they're doing!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The example is on Gumtree. Not sure about posting links as a junior member but will give it a go. toyota landcruiser amazon diesel manual 4.2.

It looks well cared for on the skin of things.
215,xxx isn't really high, providing the mechanical's have been looked after as good as the body seems to have been looked after.

Give it a drive, that's a decent price also.

Gra.

Didn't Chris look at a blue one in Bradford recently?

Totally agree with Clive on this one.

My personal truck has over 250k on it and is far better than ones I have drove with 130k miles on it.

You need to go inspect and drive it. Trucks that look well abused doesn't always make them bad mechanically.

Agree with you Karl. Have done a few already:clap: . With fuel prices as they are, am trying to cut down the number of wasted journeys. What I don't understand is why some sellers who really don't want to sell [even if the buyer is prepared to pay the full asking price] or answer questions advertise their trucks for sale on the internet.

Last edited:
I bought mine blind,with 278k,no history at all,just an mot ticket and v5.
Has afew dents and scratches,somewhat worn interior etc. I had an electrical problem that turned out to be a broken wire,knackered clutch,seized viscous coupling and one brake flexy closed up. I've fixed these issues and have still got the front axle to address(o/s cv clicking badly and front arb bushes missing) but the truck is basically sound,I had a quick look over it on the ramp before handing over my cash and it looked to have had some sort of maintainance in its lifetime,was a one owner truck with matching tyres etc. so I took the gamble and have never looked back,tbh if you ignore the worn drivers seat and steering wheel it wouldn't be hard to pass it off as a vehicle with half the mileage.
As mentioned by others,its all about looking it over and taking the current condition into account and going from there.
Best of luck with it,hope it works out ok for you!

It looks well cared for on the skin of things.
215,xxx isn't really high, providing the mechanical's have been looked after as good as the body seems to have been looked after.

Give it a drive, that's a decent price also.

Gra.

...and it's blue :shock: :whistle:

Not so sure on the 3 spoke alloys:wtf:
Looks well enough though,seller appears to be a dealer judging by the other stuff he has for sale so probably has somewhere you could get underneath etc for a decent inspection?

Yeah, the 3 spoke wheels did kind of look just out of place.

But I guess they are easily swapped out.

Gra.

I thought I'd try to be helpful and prepare a list of things to look out for, but it was getting too big and I gave up!

then I saw this on Slee's website...

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm

It's also a huge list but you can trim it to suit... maybe :think: mabe not...:icon-biggrin::whistle:

Last edited:
Back