Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

High School Portal Project

UNWORTHYPOTATO

Country Flag
united_states
I am a high school student attending Eaglecrest High School and I am working on an engineering project in which I will design a bolt-on portal assembly to put on my cruiser. The only problem is that I will need accurate measurements for the front or rear axle and trunnion assemblies. If anyone has any information on where or how I can get these it would be GREATLY appreciated. (my cruiser is a 1997 FJ 80).

Reactions: uHu
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a great project. You’ve got a big job there. My suggestion would be to obtain axles from a breakers if you can, otherwise strip yours and have it laser plotted. There’s some fantastic laser scanners out there.
Tip, the existing portal conversions (on here somewhere) replace everything from the axle casing outwards, though probably retain the factory CV (Birfield) joints. Maybe steering components too.

Not sure if anyone else on here may have dimensioned drawings.

Are you going to be able to document this project on here as it would be very interesting? Good luck with it.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a great project. You’ve got a big job there. My suggestion would be to obtain axles from a breakers if you can, otherwise strip yours and have it laser plotted. There’s some fantastic laser scanners out there.
Tip, the existing portal conversions (on here somewhere) replace everything from the axle casing outwards, though probably retain the factory CV (Birfield) joints. Maybe steering components too.

Not sure if anyone else on here may have dimensioned drawings.

Are you going to be able to document this project on here as it would be very interesting? Good luck with it.

Thanks for the info, yes I can continue posting as the project goes along. I will look into the laser plot idea. thanks again for your help

There was a chap on the landcruiser club south Africa club that was developing a set. Would be a good help for you.

Marks 4wd adapters in Aus do them for cruisers & patrols. search marks 4wd adapters on google they have lots of info listed.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry I don't go on that forum anymore.

You need to pay for it which is cheap as chips however I am stupid and have no idea about the payment.

UPDATE: I have just published the website that i will be updating and using over the course of this project, I will also be starting a blog, these sites are for the class that I am taking. The website has next to nothing on it except for a picture of my cruiser and a little note about myself, but it will expand later on.

Nice pic! If you have one like that with the whole truck in, it may be wort submitting for the 2020 calendar.

Keep an eye on the forum and when you see Starcruiser put up a post called 2020 Calendar around November time, he'll tell you how to send pictures to him. Just looking at 2019 September. It's going to be a good one.

:laughing-rolling:

UPDATE: Good news is I have gained access to a 3D laser scanner, courtesy of a nearby campus, I will be disassembling the pieces that I need scanned next week. I will be doing the last wheeling trip of the year on Saturday, then it is down to business... wish me luck!:D

UPDATE: Good news is I have gained access to a 3D laser scanner, courtesy of a nearby campus, I will be disassembling the pieces that I need scanned next week. I will be doing the last wheeling trip of the year on Saturday, then it is down to business... wish me luck!:D
Woohoo! That’s a fantastic bonus which will save you literally hundreds of hours on the CAD. Well done for bagging that! :clap:

Good luck for sure!

UPDATE: I have just made the logbook for my website which I will update at leas weekly, I will be setting goals for myself to meet on a short term basis. Additionally, the laser scanner that I have access to will be fully available to me after fall break (about 2 weeks), after I get the scan I can finally get into the nitty gritty stuff.

Good news! I have successfully taken apart the front steering knuckles, and I am currently 3d printing a pedestal to scan all of the pieces necessary for my project. I expect to be finished with this corner of the project by the end of the week. (WOOT WOOT)

Back