Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

High spec retrofit questions

Thanks Dave..... never knew that the later 80's have a centre diff lock that is automatically activated when you engage the low ratio, therefore, no need for a switch retrofit.

The dash mounted CDL switch has been discussed many times on here. The reason for fitting the switch is to get full manual control of the CD instead of the default behaviour which is auto locking when low ratio is selected with no locking available in high range. If you're happy with that setup then forget the switch. If you would like the (useful) ability to lock the CD in high range then fit the switch. If you would also like the ability to use low range with an open diff (very useful) you MUST also remove the plug on the transfer box to prevent the default auto locking behaviour. Why some markets got the dash switch as standard and some not is as big a mystery as the rest of the options list!

As per @Towpack it's you need the flexibility the switch offers? For me I used to have to reverse a heavy trailer (logs for the log burner) and the driveway had quite an incline so to protect the clutch I used low range, so of course in comes the centre differential lock, the result on the tight turn is the front and rear axles are fight each other (the front scribes a wider arc than the rear) and the tyres start scrabbling on the tarmac. Fitting the switch takes away the control of the differential lock from moving the lever into low range, this allows you you use it or not.

EDIT: I often use the CDL when going 'quick' in high range on rough ground, with the switch engaged it disables the ABS, something you don't want on certain surfaces.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks towpack, iIcan certainly see the benefit of CDL in hi range, in rare circumstances, so appreciate that.
If I looked to buy a used switch of Ebay, I dont suppose yoy know if that switch is identical on models other than the 80? as 80 bits seem to be harder to find nowadays? Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are around, but IIRC the last new one I saw was about £50.00, have a chat with @chapel gate or @karl webster both have parts available for the 80.

The switch is different for models after 94 for I THINK, I seem to remember someone mentioning it so don't take that for gospel.

Regards

Dave

I use a trailer a lot, reversing a full load in a tight spot up a gradient and having to manoeuvre...... done many a time! So I can see relate to that.
You've got me thinking now! Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This switch is suitable just has the wrong symbol, I bought one of these then found a RAV4 which I was able to get the switches from, which had the benefit of lighting up with the dash lights and having the correct symbol. (The RAV hazard switch won’t work in an 80 btw)

Thanks Dave.
Are they a straightforward fitment?

Thanks..... do you know as Dave mentioned is there also models years on the RAV4 to consider?

For the love of Christ, Mother Mary and the little donkey will you lot PLEASE stop using the quote button for every reply. Just type your reply! Quoting the previous poster's entire post then beginning with 'John... thanks for that' really isn't necessary to show who's post you are responding to. It just clutters up the post and makes it much harder to read through and follow. if you want to quote something important from a previous post, there's no need to quote the ENTIRE flaming post. Just insert the snippet.

Jeez you're doing my head in! blimey Bodie, you've just done it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bloody'ell Chris...... point taken!!
If I'd have known it was causing problems, then obviously I wouldn't be flaming doing it!!

Ha ha ha, you're OK. It's just odd how some threads end up like this but othere run and run without a single episode. I did ask for the stupid button to be removed.

Absolutely no problem with the information..... just manner of delivery!!!

It is actually the subject of a sticky iirc for everyone to read. Some may have noticed the 'edited by a moderator' at the side of each post! But hey, no matter. There are people on the forum who've been around long enough to know really, but let's get back to the thread eh? Far more important stuff.

Incidentally Dave was correct. There are two different swtiches for the different generations of 80. The original is a sort of curved thing where as the later version is a simple flat rectangular push switch.

Umm..
Gentlemen, thankyou very much for all your input on the wiring loom and CDL etc. although probably hit an information overload, so plenty there to consider. But again, appreciate your feedback.
Bodie

Last edited:
For the love of Christ, Mother Mary and the little donkey will you lot PLEASE stop using the quote button for every reply. Just type your reply! Quoting the previous poster's entire post then beginning with 'John... thanks for that' really isn't necessary to show who's post you are responding to. It just clutters up the post and makes it much harder to read through and follow. if you want to quote something important from a previous post, there's no need to quote the ENTIRE flaming post. Just insert the snippet.

Jeez you're doing my head in! blimey Bodie, you've just done it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the reminder Chris. :thumbup:

Regards

Dave........:whistle:

Remember I have bits of brain missing Chris, so am using that as an excuse. :thumbup:

Regards

Dave

I'm not exactly doing well myself Dave hence being slightly tetchy.

Yeh I know mate, it has been mentioned and I appreciate and understand, but go positive mate, it's the only way I can see in front of me.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Back