Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

High temperature

rover777

Country Flag
bulgaria
Hi guys, last week i was driving my toyota LC 100 and i notice that the temperature start raising, about 4mm. before reaching the red i stopped the AC turn on the heating and start the fan on maximum and in a few minutes temperature was normal. Let me say that i was with caravan about 1000kg. and luggage and 3 person, outside temperature was 40 deg.C and was a very long climbing on 5th and 4th gear with about 2500-3000r/min
Is it normal or not

I am guessing here, if the 100 has the same cooling protection as the 80, and if the AC was still working then you were probably ok.

AFAIK the AC will cut automatically if the temps get too high.

Usual caveat applies, check everything in case there is an issue, start with belts, fan clutch, rad or AC condenser full of bugs, foam trim around radiator in place, replace thermostat, watch main hoses when engine cools, they go soft and can pull in and collapse on themselves, and so forth.

Regards

Dave

+1 on above. Also check the radiator cap is holding pressure.

In a 100 series it might also be time to replace the water pump.

i think everything is coming from the fan clutch

That would explain a lot. If it's a viscous fan (sorry I don't know the specifics of a 100) you can top up or replace the oil, it has a Toyota part number.

Yep the fan clutches can leak, check behind the fan hub for signs of leakage.

I am all electric on cooling.

Regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This guys seems to think there is not enough fluid in the clutch from the factory :

http://neuralfibre.com/paul/4wd/tuning-and-understanding-your-toyota-viscous-fan-clutch

He may be right, but it is an easy fix. There's a thread on here "how to" somewhere, have a go with the search feature, top RH corner.

My viscous fan on my 80 is a beast. As soon as the needle rises on a steep slow climb in hot weather, it kicks in with a vengeance.

It literally made me jump the first time I heard it, sounds like a Cessna under the hood !

I think this is the link, it also contains other links, happy linking... :lol:

Reactions: Ako
Back