Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hijab remarks

I'm fortunate because my tv tuner most often loses bbc which never shows anything worth watching anyway . I retuned recently to see the new top gear and deciding it was rubbish hit the tuner and lost the beeb again and so it will likely stay for a very long time .

Guys,
WRT to all this anti-BBC vitriol, lets just look at the facts in this case......

1. Fatima Manji appeared on Channel 4 News reporting on the Nice attack
2. Kelvin Mackenzie wrote in The Sun about the report in #1, commenting on the hijab of the reporter.
3. The article in The Sun attracted 1400 complaints to the press regulator.
4. The article/comments were also deemed "completely unacceptable" by Channel 4 News
5. Manji wrote an article in The Liverpool Echo, in response to MacKenzie's comments

IMHO the BBC simply reported on the above events, though as a broadcaster they will no doubt have a vested interest in (hopefully) maintaining the objectivity of their journalists.

In other news.........
I think all of the BBC comments are warranted apart from my mistake in post 12, I should have put C4 not BBC.

Agreed Chas. We noticed a long time ago that the BBC News appeared to be biased and have watched the amateurish offering from ITV since. When we can stomach it. So much is not broadcast, anywhere. For example a week before the referendum, social media flagged up that queuing ferry passengers in their cars at Calais were pelted with rocks. A pal of mine was coming back from Le Mans at the time so I text him. Yep, rocks, he said. You didn't see any of that on the BBC or ITV news. I believe only Sky News reported briefly.

I certainly do not endorse any of Kelvin MacKenzie's hijab remarks, but I do think it was tactless of the BBC to use this particular newsreader for this particular news item.
The point I was trying to make was that it was only the complaints about Kelvins remarks that were reported on.
I am sure you would probably agree there would have been some people who would have complained about a muslim reporting on an attack that had been made by a muslim. As far as I know nothing was reported about that possibility.

News editor : Hi Trev could you come into my office please?
Sir Trevor McDonald: Yes certainly.
News editor: We have just had a report come in from Rwanda and it seems half a million people have been murdered with machetes this week.
Sir Trevor McDonald: Yeah i saw that in the briefing room this morning.
News Editor : Thing is Trevor the murderers were all a bit kind of ermm you know erm ... Black. So we are giving this story to Kate Adie cos well you know it might seem a little Tactless if you do it.
Sir Trevor McDonald: Raaaasclaaat ! BumboClaaat you mean i can't do it cos im black ?? Me I gwaaan mash you up....

Hahaha i love to to imagine that Sir Trevor McDonald get home loosens his tie and turns into Shaggy.

Come on ..... It's the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. The girl is a professional journalist doing a job as opposed to Kelvin McKenzie who is a festering pus filled wart on the arse of journalism.

Come on ..... It's the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. The girl is a professional journalist doing a job as opposed to Kelvin McKenzie who is a festering pus filled wart on the arse of journalism.
There YOU go comparing the hijab girl to Kelvin McKenzie which is something I avoided, my comparison was between the apparently different standards of reporting and then you try to strengthen your statement with a silly made up story concerning Sir Trevor McDonald, my turn to say, Come on . . . .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There YOU go comparing the hijab girl to Kelvin McKenzie which is something I avoided, my comparison was between the apparently different standards of reporting and then you try to strengthen your statement with a silly made up story concerning Sir Trevor McDonald, my turn to say, Come on . . . .

I was being facetious
The 1400 complaints were regarding the article in the Sun, any complaints about the hijab would be made regarding the BBC and not the sun as you pointed out.
I was referring to Mckenzie's comments being the most ridiculous thing I'd heard. How can you chop and change newsreaders to suit the headline? People like to see continuity on TV, a familiar face. Thats why the veteran Corrie actors earn so much.
As for BBC bias ...of they are they always have been, it's hard to decide in whose favour. Those with right wing leanings are convinced it's a left wing bias and the left wingers insist it's the opposite. They do a terrible job of being impartial and frankly I've never paid the licence fee and never would.

Not confusing at all, my point being there is always somebody who will complain about anything.
1385607_741867375839125_1184609478_n-jpg.103986.jpg

Sorry Chas, a bit quick off the mark there. It's the old thing of not choosing a book by its cover.

Back