Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hilux 2020 overland build

leeloo

Country Flag
romania
Please delete it if it is not ok to post a Hilux, I used to have a Prado 120.
Decided to sell my Prado, I started to have a lot of problmes with it, with the egr, fixed, than the brakes failed, fixed those , it started to leak oil.. so enough was enough, I bit the bullet, sold it and ordered a new Hilux.
Why Hilux ? mostly becouse of the more favorable tax regime and insurance. Also more space in the back, otherwise a Hilux with a good canopy, is not much cheaper than a new medium trim Prado..

Of course the interior is not so nice, and the suspesion is stiffer.

IMG_20200215_105247.jpg

IMG_20200215_105237.jpg

This are some pics when it arrived at the dealer, a week ago. I was delivered on Wednesday, they had a few things to mount and the registration paperwork.
It is the medium trim, auto box, with climate control and heated seats, and absolute minimum of electronic nannies.. I had the top trim for a day, Executive, took it off road and the bloody start stop system and the other safety sensors were driving me nuts...
Plus the executive comes with 18 inch wheels, impractical for off road..

Friday I went to mehari off road, to install the canopy and engine shield.
The canopy is an Aluminium canopy, made by Bushtech, an SA company like Alucab In my opinion is much better than Alucab, the quality of work, details and the insulation is far superior. I seen both at expo's and Alucab all look like they were build during the World Cup..
As options got the table that stores in the ceiling, the cheapst fridge slide I could find, and a side cupboard+ the taild dust kit. The last 2 did not arrive yet..
Pricewise it is a bit more expensive than Alucab, but the optionals are cheaper, so more or less same money. Those looking at Alucab should give this company a chance..
Canopy is on.
IMG_20200221_144926.jpg
Fridge slide is in

IMG-20200221-WA0014.jpeg

Got an engine shield from Frontrunner

Over the week-end I started work on the electrics. IMG-20200222-WA0002.jpg

They say you can get in the back of the bed via the Stop light. Bullshit.. you still need to drill a hole, always painfull in a new car..
IMG-20200222-WA0003.jpeg
sexy red zip tie to know what to cut if need it.. :)
IMG_20200222_212700.jpg
1 h later the + is in ..
IMG-20200222-WA0009.jpeg
next the redarc is in.. IMG-20200223-WA0000.jpeg

I continued working over the week-end.
Found a good earth conection :)
IMG_20200223_140327.jpg
All is connected and works, the redarc charges very fast, I am very happy with it.
IMG_20200223_185345.jpg

I have light in the canopy :) IMG_20200223_185334.jpg
Should have done that first, would have made my work easier..
I still need to connect the solar system and after I will arrange the cables properly.
I ordered a neoprene cable tube that closes with velcro, should look nice and offer some protection..
After that I will be ready to go...to bad the weather still sucks.. :(
I don't plan any lifts or other things, the Hilux will stay bone stock. I will give a chance to the factory tyres, they are some Bridgestone Dueler AT, if they don't perform I will go with some all season AT tyres ( law is very strict in Germany, even if I won't travel much in the winter ) so it is a very short list in Europe, AT all season only GG and Cooper make them.

Last edited:
Listen, we've allowed people to post Landrovers on here in the past so a Hilux gets an immediate OK
I'm looking at that very same canopy myself but not in the chequer plate finish. It's a lovely bit of kit. There's a You Toob vid of them resting a Landcruiser on top of one. There's some nifty bolt in bits like a kitchen area and ammo box sliders. Very nice.

Those tyres are rubbish in my view. Couldn't wait to get rid. I fitted Cooper AT3 Sports on mine and they're been as good as gold. Lost a few MPG possibly but they're quiet, wearing well and brilliant in the snow.

Thank you.
I rate the Redarc BCDC charger
Not sure what you mean.

Some impression from the road.
After I took it from the dealer, it was very bouncy and rough.. I check the tire preessure at home.. 3 bar on all corners instead of 2.3. :)
At 35k euro a pressure check is not included in Germany.. :)
After I got the tyres at the proper pressure and installed the canopy, it was much better. Not at the level of 120 air suspension comfort but ok. On the other hand I have much less roll at high speed bends and in generel feels more surefooted.
The auto is ok, no complain there the engine... does the job. And that is it. Nothing to write home about. On paper 0-100 is the same as the 3.0 d4d 120. But if you want to do a quick pass.. forget about it. the 3.) D4d is much faster in those situations.
Fuel economy seems a bit better, but not by much, considering it is a much smaller engine with less power. I had 11- 11.5 l/100 km with the 120, with this one 9.6 the first long trip on the highway. The new euro 6 really adds a lot of fuel consumption. Most likely it will improve intime, when the engine breakes in but from what I see I don't see it drop to less than 8 even in the most ideal conditions and economy driving..so most likely loaded for a trip with RTT moderate speed I will be arround 10 as opposed to 12l/100km in the old 120..
The seats and seating position are ok, in the city it drives really easy, you don't have the impression you are in such a large vehicle. Parking is a bitch.. that is why I got all the sensors as an option. Rear camera is standard on all trims.
Very intresting, I saw it has a DPF clean button. That is something that they should have put 2 decades ago, and would have made diesels much more reliable.
Iam pretty sure on the 2019 Hilux, this did not exist. Must be an effect from the Toyota DPF scandal Down Under.. , tough about the 2.4 in Europe never heard of big issues.

Better late than never.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah Hilux’s always welcomes, I have one too :)

Canopy looks good and nice modifications

I was able to feed a water pipe for an external tap, from inside tub, to below the rear light cluster on my 2013 Hilux
Via the cavity between the internal and external sheets of the tub, no holes drilled. There is a gap underneath the top edge of the tub if I remember correctly

Thank you.
Could be but I order it with the plastic bed protection.. so nothing is visible.

I mean the Redarc BCDC chargers are very good in my humble opinion
I had a VSR before. While it was charging, never had the full baterry before, also because my LC was one of the late ones with smart alternator.
It can still be a good option if you don't need a lot of power and you are on a budget, maybe you don't do that many trips.

So the redarc does charge the battery much faster and brings it to full. I was measuring it and it was charging exactly at 14.6 like in the book :) .

I had a VSR before. While it was charging, never had the full baterry before, also because my LC was one of the late ones with smart alternator.
It can still be a good option if you don't need a lot of power and you are on a budget, maybe you don't do that many trips.

So the redarc does charge the battery much faster and brings it to full. I was measuring it and it was charging exactly at 14.6 like in the book :) .

My Troopy was fitted with a BCDC40D in Australia, it works great with both solar and 12 volt input from the main starter battery.

I received the neoprene tubes I ordered. This neoprene tubes are a very good solution, good protection but it is also very easy to have access to fix or add things, since they close with Velcro.
before :
IMG_20200223_185345.jpg

AfterIMG_20200228_191227.jpg
Basically I am ready to go, to bad the weather still sucks... :(

Like Andy, I use a Mk7 3.0 for overlanding.

The one thing I regret is buying a fibreglass canopy rather than metal - means baroud has to go over can and it only has two roofrails, if Id had the denari I would still change for metal but, alas, the lottery has still not been kind.

Mine has been a brilliant truck, went for pedders suspension, not without issues and now have HD springs on back, bit oversprung when not loaded up.

Duelers......they are standard on lots of trucks, fine for road use but not so good as an AT tyre, so swapped for BFG, 40,000miles on them, expect at least another 10 to 15k.

If you can get an ARB overhead console, its areally neat addition and gives extra cab storage.

Good luck :)

Thank you. I wish they still had the 3.0, had it on the landcruiser, or at least 2.8..that is present on the Hilux on other markets.
Thank for the suggestion with the console, I will look in to that.
When I made my choice of canopy I saw a a good quality fiberglass one was close enough in price to a metal one.. so for me it was easy.

I want to wait for the suspesnsion to settle a bit and than see how it performs when I am fully loaded. For me this is a pure hobby truck, so I don't use it empty too much or very often.

I ordered some rock sliders from Rival, not sure why they are so expensive for Hilux, Front Runner use to make them as well, more reasonable priced but I spoke with a guy there, they had complaints about the fitting, it was complicated and they stop selling them , they are working on a redesign.

Hopefully I will get them next week.
Best use of my Hilux during the quarantine
IMG-20200512-WA0020.jpg

Home made sausages :)
This just came the mail, to be installed on the back of the driver seat.
IMG-20200515-WA0014.jpg

It is smaller than I imagined, but it looks like you can store a lot of things .

So I did not do anything notable lately, waiting for the bloody restrictions to be lifted.
In the mean time I moved again, just a small 25 km hop, but in another country nevertheless, Luxembourg. to be close to the school for the kid.
The main reason I got the Hilux was for tax reasons, pick-ups in general have a low flat tax in most EU.
But now, in Luxembourg the taxes are very low on all cars, and in addition to that, because I am a new resident there, I have right to get 1 new car with no VAT, so I am considering of getting back to my first love, a Landcruiser, but this time a J150 . They are at the end of the line, they seem to have solved the 2.8 engine issues, they don't sell new very well and, because of that, they are very cheap new, you can get a big discount.
This combined with the VAT exemption, makes it very attractive.
If I sell the Hilux, I will have to pony up maybe just a few thousands to get a mid spec Landcruiser..
So I have a drive test tomorrow.
I believed the missus will take my head off for thinking of selling a 1 year old car, but she was all smiles. She loved my old J120 as well.. and wants to come with me for the drive test. This is a very good sign.. :)
The thing is., while the Hilux is fine, I just see an appliance. When I was passing by my old Landcruiser, I would imediatly get this feeling of wanting to take it and drive it someplace, even if it was for 1 day on some back roads close by...
I see the Hilux, and I am indifferent, just like meah....

Last edited:
So I went and di a drive test. The J150 is great. Ride seemed a bit more firm than the 120, but ok. Better than the Hilux for sure. The Cabin interior was great.
Price was a little higher than my math, but acceptable. Than comes the bad news. If I order it tomorrow it might come in September.
So for me that is a no go. I might as well wait for the new model and by that time the new Grenadier should be available as well, that comes with a petrol engine as well. I would like very much that what ever I get next to be a petrol. Modern diesel is crap now for overlanding on other continents. Best case is that you just have to deal with the adblue procurement, not so easy in Africa or Asia, worst case you have big issue to do long exposure to high Sulphur diesel. What it si possible, I would like to avoid the trouble.
Petrol engines and high Sulphur fuel combo is not so much of an issue, you just have to half the oil service interval and you are ok...

Could you ask the dealer for first refusal on the demonstration vehicle as it will be low mileage and any niggling faults will have been resolved and a lower price and a high spec

Back