Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

On this day in history

Ho Ho Ho
Get off my chimney you fat lump :lol:

6 Dec

The Feast day of Nicholas, popularly known as Santa Claus. He is the patron saint of children. The name Santa Claus is a phonetic alteration from the German Sankt Niklaus and the Dutch Sinterklaas.

6 Dec 1977
The birth of Andrew Flintoff, English and Lancashire cricketer. His nickname 'Freddie' or 'Fred' comes from the similarity between his surname and that of Fred Flintstone. He developed deep vein thrombosis after surgery to his knee and announced his retirement from all cricket on 16th September 2010.

Ho Ho Ho
Get off my chimney you fat lump :lol:

6 Dec

The Feast day of Nicholas, popularly known as Santa Claus. He is the patron saint of children. The name Santa Claus is a phonetic alteration from the German Sankt Niklaus and the Dutch Sinterklaas.

And my daughter phoned me at 01:00 this morning (in Montreal) "wake up Dad, wake up...!" because Saint Nicolae had been and left sweets and little goodies in her shoes (in Romania)... :lol:

On this day

1941 Japan launches an attack on the American naval base at Pearl Harbor in Hawaii and declares war on Britain and the United States

• 8 Dec 1909
  • Inventor Leo Baekeland patents the first thermo-setting plastic, Bakelite, sparking the birth of the plastics industry

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
8th December 1962 - 55 years ago today, the RAF started air operations against the rebellion in Borneo. Mainly Belvederes, a Britannia and Beverleys (Beverlies?, Beverlii?). Thanks to rapid RAF deployment of troops from the Royal Marines, regular Army, SAS, and Gurkas the rebellion was put down in 10 days - 40 rebels were killed and 3,400 captured, although things were a bit messy for a while after.

Not a bad job really - deploy at the start of December, put down a rebellion, kill 40 enemy, capture over 3,000 prisoners, and back home in time for Christmas.

Just for those that like chocolate
Extra holidays :)

There are over 10 holidays that celebrate chocolate.
The National Confectioners Associationrecognizes everything from National Milk Chocolate Day to National Bittersweet Chocolate With Almonds Day. National Chocolate Day alone happens three times annually: July 7, October 28 and December 28. We support this.

Just to even it out, so you can eat chocolate and not have to worry about not eating fruit

Chocolate is (kinda) a fruit.
In more great chocolate news, the cocoapowder that goes into the average candy barcomes from the "beans" — or fruit of the cacao tree.

Mmmmm let me think about this..................,,... for a while :lol::lol:

Lazy people actually think more.
A small 2016 study found that people who possess a strong need for cognition move around less than those who avoid mentally taxing tasks. The not-so-scientific inference: Laying around a lot just might mean you're brainier.

Bugger just noticed posted all those in the wrong thread, doing all this on my phone on Oggyland

8 Dec 1864
The opening of the Clifton Suspension Bridge (see
bb_s.gif
picture) over the River Avon at Bristol, designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel when he was aged just 24. A plaque on the bridge (see
bb_s.gif
picture) commemorates Brunel's work. There have been over 500 suicides since the bridge was opened, including the tragic death of Charlotte Bevan and her new-born baby Zaani Tiana, whose bodies were discovered at the foot of the gorge on 3rd and 4th

Good going :thumbup:

8 Dec 1993
Daisy Adams of Church Gresley, Derbyshire, thought to be Britain's oldest person at the time, died aged 113 years and 161 days.

BFGs must be hand made :lol:

10 Dec 1845
The Scottish civil engineer, Robert Thompson, patented pneumatic tyres. He was one of Scotland’s most prolific, but now largely forgotten, inventors. Tyre manufacture had to be by hand and they proved too expensive to be economically viable until Dunlop developed the process in 1888.

There’s still Model T fords still stuck at those lights :icon-biggrin:

10 Dec 1868
The first traffic lights were installed, outside the Palace of Westminster in London. Resembling railway signals, they used semaphore arms and were illuminated at night by red and green gas lamps.

10 Dec 1917
The first postmark slogan was stamped on envelopes in Britain: ‘Buy British War Bonds Now’.

Back