Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

On this day in history

On this day in 1953 Thousands greet the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh when they arrive at Clydeside to launch the new royal yacht, Britannia.

On this day in 1955 Scientist Albert Einstein, originator of the theory of relativity, dies aged 76.

On this day in 1953 Thousands greet the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh when they arrive at Clydeside to launch the new royal yacht, Britannia.

Just in time for the Coronation....

On this day in 1974 The conflict in Northern Ireland claims its 1,000th victim, a petrol station owner.

Gilbert and Sullivan were my Dalmatian father’s and our favourite light opera.brilliant Chas.
Chas,I am very slow but I just played your G&S video I’ve got a little list and it is a classic of British humour.

On this day 23 April 303 AD, our patron Saint George, according to legend, was a Roman soldier of Greek origin and officer in the Guard of Roman emperor Diocletian, who was sentenced to death for refusing to recant his Christian faith.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
On this day 23 April 303 AD, our patron Saint George, according to legend, was a Roman soldier of Greek origin and officer in the Guard of Roman emperor Diocletian, who was sentenced to death for refusing to recant his Christian faith.

Go George, and fly the George Cross flag, a day to celebrate being English :thumbup:

On this day in 1992 Betty Boothroyd is elected to the post of House of Commons Speaker - the first woman in its 700-year history.

On this day in 1951 King George VI inaugurates the Festival of Britain and opens the Royal Festival Hall on London's South Bank.

One of the greater days of British history.

On this day in 1979 Conservative leader Margaret Thatcher becomes Britain's first female prime minister.

On this day in 1945 British Prime Minister Winston Churchill officially announces the end of the war with Germany.

I thought it was still going
It is!

On this day I 1955 West Germany formally joins Nato - a move other members say will strengthen peace in Europe.

On this day in 1957 There were cheers in the House of Commons when the government announces it is abolishing petrol rationing, which has been in force for five months following the Suez crisis.

On this day in 1957 The UK explodes its first hydrogen bomb - above Christmas Island - as part of a series of tests in the Pacific.

The Dam busters raid 75 yrs ago today.

Operation Chastise, set out 75 years today, A total of 133 aircrew left on board 19 Lancaster bombers, 8 aircraft were lost during the raid on the Ruhr dams, 3 aircraft turned back and only 8 aircraft returned from the operation.

On this day in 1957 There were cheers in the House of Commons when the government announces it is abolishing petrol rationing, which has been in force for five months following the Suez crisis.

And then petrol was rationed again in 1973... I had a ration book :lol:

On this day in 1978 The coffin containing the body of film legend Charlie Chaplin was found. Missing since his grave was ransacked 11 weeks ago

Back