Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

On this day in history

Oct 23 1777
British fleet suffers defeat at Fort Mifflin, Pennsylvania

But eventually win the day :thumbup:

On this day in 1777, a British Royal Navy fleet of ships, trying to open up supply lines along the Delaware River and the occupying British army in Philadelphia, is bombarded by American cannon fire and artillery from Fort Mifflin, Pennsylvania.

Six British ships were severely damaged, including the 64-gun battleship HMS Augusta and the 20-gun sloop Merlin, which both suffered direct hits before they were run aground and subsequently destroyed. More than 60 British troops aboard the Augusta were killed, while the crewmembers aboard the Merlin abandoned ship, narrowly avoiding a similar fate.

Although the American forces defending Fort Mifflin were undoubtedly victorious on October 23, 1777, the battle continued throughout the month of October and into November. With much of the fort destroyed and under continuous artillery and cannon fire, the American forces abandoned Fort Mifflin on November 16, 1777.

The capture of Fort Mifflin gave the British Royal Navy near complete control of the Delaware River up to Red Bank, New Jersey. Fearing that the fall of Fort Mercer, located across the Delaware from Fort Mifflin, was imminent, Continental Army Colonel Christopher Greene ordered a full retreat off all Patriot troops from the fort and the burning of all buildings and ships to prevent their capture by the British. General Charles Cornwallis took over the evacuated fort, guaranteeing a safe winter for the British forces occupying Philadelphia, while their disheartened Continental counterparts froze at Valley Forge.

;)
14 years ago today, the final commercial flights of this beauty. British aviation at its finest (if least profitable) and still much missed by all of us. British Airways retired its fleet on October 24 2003, after a farewell tour.

Concorde.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
1415 Battle of Agincourt.............went well.

1854 Charge of the Light Brigade.............how not to attack artillery.

It did happen Pat, I was there. There would have been pictures but I dropped my camera when that bridge collapsed.
Was it a box brownie that you dropped,Chas?

This day in 1942 there was a very momentous occasion . . . . . . I was born. :dance:

Don't know what was in your post but I got. Content was blocked because it was not signed by a valid security certificate. Probably something derogatory I expect. :eusa-whistle:

That's a shame, no derogation just a goodwill birthday message from Steveland Morris.
Any way...........Happy Birthday !!!:occasion-cake::occasion-birthday::occasion-cake:
Aw! Thanks Flint, it's showing now so I don't know why it wasn't before.

1648: Peace of Westphalia -- ending the Thirty Years' War and the Eighty Years' War. This started a peaceful period of Multipolar power balance in Europe, which lasted until the WW2, when we got a Bipolar balance instead.

This day in 1942 there was a very momentous occasion . . . . . . I was born. :dance:

Happy birthday Chas, it’s a shame it’s buried in this thread, but a momentous occasion nevertheless :thumbup:

:occasion-balloons::occasion-cake:

Have a good one :obscene-drinkingdr: you poor old thing :lol:

Happy birthday Chas , i guess there wasn't many presents to open because the Phoenix got them all already , but never mind eh there's always next year and many more thereafter i hope :thumbup:

Oh, hey, Happy Birthday Chas!! Just seen this!
:text-bravo::occasion-cake: :occasion-birthdaym: :occasion-cake:

I guess HMS Phoenix was your present to yourself. :)

Hope you had a great day!!

Back