Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

On this day in history

Oct 26 1881
The Gunfight at the O.K. Corral takes place at Tombstone, Arizona.

1907 The Territorial Army was formed by the Secretary of State for War, Richard Haldane

Judging by this film, most of the buses were already red. London General had already taken over most of the smaller companies which used various colours.

Judging by this film, most of the buses were already red. London General had already taken over most of the smaller companies which used various colours.
Thanks Flint, that was good, I love watching old films like that.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Glad you liked it Chas. It's part of an early colour film, the first parts of which are of a trip through Britain in the 20s and can be watched here if you fancy a look:

28th Oct 1664
The Royal Marines came into existence

Happy 350th Birthday to all Bootnecks :obscene-drinkingbe::obscene-drinkingbe::obscene-drinkingbe::occasion-cake:

“At The Court Of Whitehall The 28th October 1664
Present that day:

The Kings Most Excellent Majestie
His Royal Highness Ye Duke of York, Lord Chancellor, Lord Treasurer,Duke of Albermarle, Duke of Ormond, Lord Chamberlain, Earle of Angelesey, Earle of Lauderdaill, Earle of Middleton, Lord Bishopp of London, Lord Ashley, Mr Vice Chamberlain, Mr Secretary Morice, Mr Secretary Bennet, Mr Chancellor of Ye Dutchy, Sir Edward Nicholas

Upon a report from the Lords Committee of the Affayres of His Majesites Navy Royall and Admiralty of this Kingdome this read at the board:

His Majestie was pleased to order and direct that twelve hundred land soldiers be forthwith raysed, to be in readinesse, to be distributed into Majesties Fleets prepared for sea service which said twelve hundred men are to be out into one regiment under one Colonell, one Lieutenant Colnell and one Sergeant Major. And be divided into six companies, each company to consist of two hundred souldjers; and to have one Captain, one Lieutenant, one Ensigne, one Drume, fowre Sergeants, and fowre Corporalls, and all the souldjers aforesaid to be armed with good firelocks; all which armies, drumes and colours are forthwith to be prepared and furnished out his majesities stoares; the care of all which is recommended to the Duke of Albermarle his grace, lord General of his Majesties Forces.”

This is where it all started to go wrong, :lol: from this came internet forums :thumbup:

Oct 29th 1969
The first-ever computer-to-computer link is established on ARPANET, the precursor to the Internet.

Oct 29th 1863

The formation of International The Red Cross agreed in Geneva by Eighteen Countries

Oct 29 1415

The birthday of Christopher Columbus

Full Name: Christopher Columbus
Nationality: Italian

Profession: Explorer of the New World
Why Famous: Columbus first landed in the Bahamas in 1492 sailing on behalf of the Spanish crown in a new attempt to find a western route to Asia.

He made four voyages to the New World including Antilles, Venezuela and Central America.

He served as Governor in Hispaniola but was later dismissed on charges of tyranny.

Born: October 30, 1451
Star Sign: Scorpio
Birthplace: Genoa, Republic of Genoa

Died: May 20, 1506 (aged 54)

Oct 29 1929 The Great Stock Market Crash, which started The Great Depression

Black Tuesday hits Wall Street as investors trade 16,410,030 shares on the New York Stock Exchange in a single day. Billions of dollars were lost, wiping out thousands of investors, and stock tickers ran hours behind because the machinery could not handle the tremendous volume of trading. In the aftermath of Black Tuesday, America and the rest of the industrialized world spiraled downward into the Great Depression.

During the 1920s, the U.S. stock market underwent rapid expansion, reaching its peak in August 1929, a period of wild speculation. By then, production had already declined and unemployment had risen, leaving stocks in great excess of their real value. Among the other causes of the eventual market collapse were low wages, the proliferation of debt, a weak agriculture, and an excess of large bank loans that could not be liquidated.

Stock prices began to decline in September and early October 1929, and on October 18 the fall began. Panic set in, and on October 24—Black Thursday—a record 12,894,650 shares were traded. Investment companies and leading bankers attempted to stabilize the market by buying up great blocks of stock, producing a moderate rally on Friday. On Monday, however, the storm broke anew, and the market went into free fall. Black Monday was followed by Black Tuesday, in which stock prices collapsed completely.

After October 29, 1929, stock prices had nowhere to go but up, so there was considerable recovery during succeeding weeks. Overall, however, prices continued to drop as the United States slumped into the Great Depression, and by 1932 stocks were worth only about 20 percent of their value in the summer of 1929. The stock market crash of 1929 was not the sole cause of the Great Depression, but it did act to accelerate the global economic collapse of which it was also a symptom. By 1933, nearly half of America’s banks had failed, and unemployment was approaching 15 million people, or 30 percent of the workforce. It would take World War II, and the massive level of armaments production taken on by the United States, to finally bring the country out of the Depression after a decade of suffering.

1971 – In Macon, Georgia, guitarist (Howard) Duane Allman, aka Skydog, is killed in a motorcycle accident.
American guitarist, session musician, and co-founder and leader of the Allman Brothers Band. He also played together with King Curtis, Aretha Franklin, Wilson Pickett, Herbie Mann and Eric Clapton. In 2003 (32 yrs after his death), he was ranked as the number 2 greatest guitarists of all time, second only to Jimi Hendrix, by the Rolling Stone magazine. His guitar tone (achieved with a Gibson Les Paul and two 50-watt bass Marshall amplifiers) was named one of the greatest of all time by Guitar Player.

1971 – In Macon, Georgia, guitarist (Howard) Duane Allman, aka Skydog, is killed in a motorcycle accident.
American guitarist, session musician, and co-founder and leader of the Allman Brothers Band. He also played together with King Curtis, Aretha Franklin, Wilson Pickett, Herbie Mann and Eric Clapton. In 2003 (32 yrs after his death), he was ranked as the number 2 greatest guitarists of all time, second only to Jimi Hendrix, by the Rolling Stone magazine. His guitar tone (achieved with a Gibson Les Paul and two 50-watt bass Marshall amplifiers) was named one of the greatest of all time by Guitar Player.

That was the year I left school and started work. The Allman Brothers was one of my favorite bands in those days.

First computer-to-computer link; the link is accomplished through ARPANET, forerunner of the Internet.

What can i say Clive - great minds think alike hey Brian , i was going to have a bit of a rant myself but then the rant turned sour and it got ever more depressing the more i thought about until it was too sad to post :confusion-shrug:

What can i say Clive - great minds think alike hey Brian , i was going to have a bit of a rant myself but then the rant turned sour and it got ever more depressing the more i thought about until it was too sad to post :confusion-shrug:

Hey Shayne, Correcto Mundo :thumbup:
Don't get depressed, crack a tinnie mate :obscene-drinkingbe: :D on me :thumbup:

30th Oct 1945
Henry “The Fonz” Winkler is born

Hey it's "The Fonz" :thumbup::thumbup: can't find a double thumbs up :D

Last edited:
30 Oct 1485
The coronation of Henry VII of England. He founded the Yeoman of the Guard - 'Beefeaters' - to guard Royal Palaces in London.

This Yeoman is Brilliant :D:D:D

Back