Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

On this day in history

30th Oct 1942
Three British Royal Navy personel - Lt. Tony Fasson, Able Seaman Colin Grazier and canteen assistant Tommy Brown from HMS Petard boarded the sinking German submarine U-559, and retrieved vital instruments and documentation which would later lead the Bletchley Park codebreakers to crack the German Enigma code. Brown was the only one of the three to survive when the submarine sank. All three received the George Cross Medal and Tommy Brown (aged 16 and too young to be at sea at the time ) is the youngest person to have ever received that award.

Top men and women, all of them that served Past and Present :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

30 Oct 1925

Scotsman John L. Baird performs first TV broadcast of moving objects.

I wonder what he would say now about his invention, with the amount of dross on it :(

Oh, 30 October? I missed it by an hour.
30 Oct 1974 - the great event in Zaïre.
1938 - The War of the Worlds - was that the start of fake news?

Quite a lot of historic moments

• 1517 Martin Luther posts 95 theses on Wittenberg church - precipitates the Protestant Reformation
  • 1541 Michelangelo Buonarroti finishes painting "The Last Judgement" in the Sistine Chapel, Vatican City
  • 1876 Great Backerganj Cyclone of 1876 ravages British India (Modern-day Bangladesh), over 200,000 killed
  • 1917 World War I: Battle of Beersheba in southern Palestine - "last successful cavalry charge in history" performed by the 4th Australian Light Horse
  • 1918 Spanish flu-virus kills 21,000 in US in 1 week
  • 2011 The world population reaches 7 billion inhabitants according to the United Nations

They don't like it up em Capt Mainwaring !!!

31 Oct 1940
World War II: The Battle of Britain ended. Britain had successfully avoided a possible German invasion.

31 Oct 1951
Zebra crossings came into use for the first time in Britain.

Haven't seen any Zebras in Britain to use these crossings ??:D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yakki Da Boyo :D:D:D

2008 Officials asked for the Welsh translation of a bilingual road sign which in English read - "No entry for heavy goods vehicles. Residential site only." When the automatic e-mail came back from Swansea council it read "Nid wyf yn y swyddfa ar hyn o bryd. Anfonwch unrhyw waith i'w gyfieithu" and this was duly printed on the road sign. Only later was it discovered that the Welsh part of the sign said "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated."

31 Oct 1951
I remember that, I was 9yrs old
31 Oct 1951
I remember that, I was 9yrs old. Before that there were pedestrian crossings with flashing amber beacons, called Belisha beacons named after the politician who introduced them Leslie Hore-Belisha, 1st Baron Hore-Belisha,.

Last edited:
2nd Nov 1936
The Biased Broadcasting Corporation starts "High Definition" service

The British Broadcasting Corporation initiates the BBC Television Service, the world's first regular, "high-definition" (then defined as at least 200 lines) service.

2nd Nov 1924

1924 Almost 11 years after its appearance in America, the first crossword puzzle was published in a British newspaper, sold to the Sunday Express by C.W. Shepherd.

2nd Nov 1871
British police began their Rogues' Gallery, taking photographs of all convicted prisoners.

2nd Nov 1896
The first motor insurance policies were issued in Britain, but they excluded damage caused by frightened horses.

2nd Nov 1953
The foundation of the Samaritans, (the world's first crisis hotline organisation), by the Anglican priest Chad Varah, who was born in Barton-upon-Humber, Lincolnshire

2nd Nov 1959
The opening of Watford Gap Services, (see
bb_s.gif
picture) the oldest motorway services in Britain. The M1 - between Junction 5 (Watford) and Junction 18 (Crick/Rugby) opened on the same day. Watford Gap has long been hailed as the unofficial cut-off point between the two parts of the country, (see
bb_s.gif
picture) with 'southerners' sometimes criticised for not venturing north of it

Bet the food was just as bad then as it is now:puke-front:

3rd Nov 1838
The Times of India, world's largest circulated English language daily broadsheet newspaper founded as The Bombay Times and Journal of Commerce

3rd Nov 1718
The birth of John Montague, fourth Earl of Sandwich who gave his name to the Sandwich Islands, and (allegedly) to the 'sandwich' as a result of his reluctance to leave the gaming tables but requiring a quick and easy to eat snack.

3 Nov 1843
The statue of English Admiral Horatio Nelson was raised to the top of Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square, London. The operation was completed on the 4th when the statue’s two sections were assembled. (Note:- Nelson was born in Burnham Thorpe - Norfolk. His home was demolished in 1803, but was on this site (see
bb_s.gif
picture and
bb_s.gif
plaque) outside the village.

A good day for Monty :thumbup:

3 Nov 1942
World War II: The Battle of El Alamein. The British Eighth Army, commanded by General Bernard Montgomery, broke through the German front line having taken 9000 prisoners and destroyed 300 tanks.

Back