Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hitting acceleration flat spot, then surging off

reliablerebel

Country Flag
ireland
Hi all, bear with me, newbie here. I spent the weekend trawling through old (and not so old threads) - have found similar issues in similar age LC's - 2007 DVD LC3 (I think, SWB with spare on back door) - 320,000 km
I am not a DIY'er so everytime there is an issue it goes to the garage. To be fair I have had her 11 years, only issues so far were the injectors, but as a 07 model that is not unusual.
For the last month or so I am hitting a flat spot when the engine is not warmed up, especially (actually only noticeable) going uphill or towing uphill. Doesn't have to be a steep hill, small incline will do it. I can put my foot flat to the floor and revs don't increase, can get up to 80km/hr (not towing) until finally she surges off!! Its not a major issue, and drives very well the other 95% of the time. This does not happen every day, but a few times a week.
Into garage, changed oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter - ran diagnostics, got a rather vague code to do with the manifold. Which they told me I would have to take to an engine centre to get it taken apart and cleaned out. Is this very expensive, and should it be the first thing on my list of things to check.
From reading the other threads other possible issues are, in no particular order,
SCV valves (if I knew what any of these were it would help) - not sure yet if mine is long or short
MAF sensor - from what I have read cleaning them is not always enough, replacing them might be a better option?
Red and green solenoid valve (or is this the same as an SCV valve)
All the above info has been gleaned from threads and any other ideas gratefully received.
What I am asking is what order I should try these fixes?

From reading the other threads other possible issues are, in no particular order,
SCV valves (if I knew what any of these were it would help) - not sure yet if mine is long or short

The SCV is on the high pressure diesel pump - that might not mean a lot to you, but I'll try and post a pic in a minute so you can have a look at the same area on yours.

Theres three variations:

1) two red and green valves (old - will predate your 07 I think)

2) short SCV (originally fitted by Toyota in earlier years)

3) long SCV (improved version)

The long and short might be difficult for you to determine if you havent seen them before, so feel free to post a pic and we can tell you what it is.

The red and green ones, and the short one will fail eventually. The red and green ones need to be replaced with red and green again (new, but not improved!). The short ones should be replaced with the improved long version. The long ones dont normally fail.

A lot of us on here have replaced the short SCV as preventative maintenance, because it will go eventually and can leave you stranded when it does! So it might be worth doing anyway if you're keeping the vehicle.

The SCV's are on roughtrax if you want an idea of price - probably a few hundred for the part and maybe an 1-2 hours labour to change it.

MAF sensor - from what I have read cleaning them is not always enough, replacing them might be a better option?
Replacing them is a better option, but cleaning them is sometimes enough, especially if its never been done. Changing this is a five minute job, you could do it yourself with a screwdriver.

Red and green solenoid valve (or is this the same as an SCV valve)
All the above info has been gleaned from threads and any other ideas gratefully received.
What I am asking is what order I should try these fixes?

Personally I'd clean the MAF first as it might be an easy win. SCV will need doing anyway at some point unless its already the long version.

Any idea what the inlet manifold code was? Always worth posting codes here, someone will have a view on it!

Photos

Attachments

• tempFileForShare_20220613-162759.jpg
    tempFileForShare_20220613-162759.jpg
    847 KB · Views: 109
  • tempFileForShare_20220613-162926.jpg
    tempFileForShare_20220613-162926.jpg
    769.9 KB · Views: 111
@karl2000 - super thanks for the pics I will have a look and sus them out. I appreciate all the info. No idea on the code, tbh not sure the garage had much ideal either!!

I'm wondering as the garage has vaguely mentioned a code and the manifold needs cleaning out, if your egr valve is sticking and that is the culprit. I expect at that mileage with the d4d, there is a fair build up of that horrible black sticky gunge in there.
As it's possibly sticky as opposed to stuck, it may not be enough to bring a light up.
Check out some of the egr threads/pics on here and youTube to see what I mean.

@Tractionman thanks for that - looked at a few detailed links, quite fiddly for dummies! I have had my injectors changed/cleaned twice, am I right in thinking there is a possibility the egr was cleaned then? Sod's law, now I have started a thread all about my issue it seems to have disappeared - for now!! But at least I have learned a lot and will know what to look for if/when it happens again.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Injectors changed/cleaned twice. Why twice, was this to try and fix this same issue ?
I would say if you have had a garage do that work, specifically focussed on injectors, then I would say no to egr/throttle body/manifold clean, (all associated with each other) unless mentioned by them or you.

@Tractionman - two separate injector issues a few years apart. Major engine garage did the work both times. Not sure tbh how many/what was replaced either time. But from reading threads here today and checking my VIN - mine was one of the recalls for injectors. But I only bought her (2007 model) in October 2011 so never knew there had been an issue. Only found this site over the weekend, and it has been a steep learning curve. And I learned a new word - fubar'd - although I am hoping I won't have to use it!! Thanks

For some reason I got locked out of the thread for a couple of days:neutral: - but just to update, even with a full tank of diesel on board the jeep (I can't call her a truck -sounds like delusions of grandeur) she is now flying up the hill she was failing on, so figure it must have been the new diesel filter!! But thanks to you guys, I am now better informed!! It will be going back to garage in a couple of months for service and DOE (irish MOT) - so I will wait till then to produce my list of questions, and if I do indeed have a short SCV will get them to change it for a long one. Very hard to see in my photos what type I have, but thanks to @karl2000 for his pics, at least my knowledge of a diesel engine has progressed beyond filling the washer fluid and dipping the oil!! Thanks all!!

Attachments

• IMG_20220614_113612388.jpg
    IMG_20220614_113612388.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 94
Glad that went well for you and not too expensive, and you will get used to getting locked out.
No delusions of grandeur on here, in fact you do the Landcruiser a disservice classing it as a jeep, a completely different brand of vehicle.

@Tractionman here in IReland they call them jeeps, but at least they see a bit of work over here, and you rarely find one without a tow bar. However, in the UK - don't get me started (I am british by birth but have lived in Ireland over half my life) - the nearest thing a lot of them get to offroad is leaving the motorway!!

• Love
Reactions: Raj
offroad is leaving the motorway
This reminds me of Carwow review of that guy taking SUVs on to a grass verge and saying these are capable 4X4s :) I too was satisfied with that kind off-roading, thinking my Accord can also do little bit of off-roading. Landcruiser changed perceptions and now I keep quiet when friends get their Kuga/CRV and their off roading.

It was 1986 , I remember because that was when i first became aware there was something called a world cup to celebrate people kicking a bag of wind around :confusion-shrug:
Two months short of my 14th birthday on Tynwald Day somebody decided it was our Island and therefore our hill so we should throw a party on the hill to celebrate it . Police weren't impressed and words were exchanged so they called in more police , and then some more . It was me that broke the Mexican stand off by saying to the Chief "today of all days this is not gonna end well for you". A wise man he ordered pretty much the entire police force to retreat out out sight before asking us all very politely to ensure we cleaned up when we were done and to leave no empty beer cans :lol:

When the pub across the road opened the next day it was me being the youngest and probably the soberest that cleaned up but because police were still discreetly hovering at a respectful distance the pub landlord refused to serve my usual and would offer me only coke . Guess that's why i ended up driving a bunch of them back to our village .

I wasn't ready for home and I had the keys to a Renault 5 :think: The Potshaft was our local dirt bike race track and sometimes hosted 4x4 events . The Renault performed admirably and never got stuck once though that might have something to do with the needle bouncing off the rev limiter while i investigated how high the car could jump .

It was still going well with no notable damage when i realized i had to get fuel , 200 yards down the road towards the garage I learned at the hairpin I had no brakes and was hit by the rear wheels of a 6 legger HGV coming the opposite way , snapped the whole car in half . I headbutted the windscreen and fell against the door which fell off so i landed in the road in fits of laughter (probably still drunk) .

The wagon driver was a star , he looked around at all the other kids and houses realized this is Foxdale so there will be no witnesses should anybody ask .Said to me "you have no insurance do you your not even old enough to drive" shook his head and told me to get up in the back of his tipper to grab the chains then dragged both halves of the car off the road and out of sight .

Police were obviously alerted by somebody , a passing driver perhaps . But when they crawled past at 5mph they didn't even bother to stop and ask why a gang of pre-teens were hanging around armed with sweeping brushes and shovels :laughing-rolling:

Back