Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hj 60 Front brake caliper upgrade.

Iwan

Country Flag
wales
60 front calipers 002.jpg

Standard front brake caliper as stock but with seized pistons!

60 front calipers 003.jpg
The larger 2005 Hilux Kdn front calipers have a greater pad surface area and also have twin 50mm pistons as the 60 series has 1x50mm and 1x40mm. All in all a greater front end braking setup.
60 front calipers 005.jpg
Fitting is basically a straight bolt on as both have 88mm fixing centres and the same disc diameter. But adjustments are needed to the disc guard, easy!

Just thought I let you all know of this mod as I had been driving on 25 year old system and feels better having 8 year old parts!:icon-biggrin:

Top tip Iwan, these newer calipers will also be in better condition. I wonder if 80 calipers will fit??

Andy

Hi Iwan looks good to me that will stop you hope to see you seen good man thanks for that Tony :icon-ugeek:

having had my brakes fade on a regular basis, that is indeed a top tip.
I thought someone had swapped mine for some from an Austin metro!!
Also probably easier to get replacement parts

Yes! They are a bit of a hefty lump to stop in a hurry! I like that they are newer and more upto date.

It would be interesting to see what other series of cruisers would be adaptable, I had read that you could fit 4 runner/surf calipers on these too. Which led me to using these spare hilux ones:icon-biggrin:

Its the 1st job off the list leading to getting it back on the road after a years break:icon-cool:

More mods to come!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
They are off a single cab 2005 kdn 190, I think! Is it the model before your hilux I saw you in?

well, that's where things get complicated!! mine is the facelifted mark 6, which some people call a mark 7, although it isn't! So I am guessing, these are off an earlier mark 6, although I have asked the same question on the Hilux forum so may get some info there.

it won't be a facelift mark 6, that came in 2012!
looks like 2005 was the crossover year from mark 5 to mark 6 so could be either.
did you see the original truck? did it have a flat grill or sloping a bit? Are there any identifying marks on the calliper?

I'm not too sure what it is, don't know much about hilux's, it is like a modern parts bin for my Lj70!

okeydokey, some top chap from the HPOC (Hilux Pickup Owners Club) forum is lending me a set of callipers from a mark 4 (which are the same as from a mark 5) to test fit so I should be able to shed some light on what the deal is in a couple of weeks

ok, so, to clarify, the callipers from the mark 3,4,&5 Hilux will fit

The calipers are still fitted to the truck and they have a much larger brake pad... so very conclusive that they fit and work.

It's also a brake upgrade for the earlier lj70 too! As the earlier trucks have the earlier brake caliper.. A great upgrade!

What size wheels do you have fitted?
I have similar calipers fitted which initially needed a fraction of the outer fins filing down about 1mm as they were just touching the inner wheel rim.
The calipers in the pic actually look ok for my 15” wheels but its hard to say for sure without trying them.
The difference in braking as @Iwan said is remarkable

Yeah on 15'' wheels of glory! I suppose I could take the grinder to the calipers if needed, or use spacers on the hubs.

Yeah on 15'' wheels of glory! I suppose I could take the grinder to the calipers if needed, or use spacers on the hubs.
You may not need to but if you do its a minimal adjustment.
Wouldn’t recommend spacers if you can avoid them

Back