Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HJ47 front wheel stud

MarkH

Country Flag
australia
Hi

New to the forum so hi to everyone. Hopefully you help me out. I'm trying to replace a front wheel stud on my HJ47 circa 1983. Has drum brakes. I had hoped to remove the brake drum and fish around behind the brake shoes and slip the new stud in. Unfortunately the stud is about 5mm too long to do this. It is the correct length as compared to the other studs. So I figured I would have to remove the hub. However after consulting several manuals and watching a number of videos I have come to the conclusion that I do not have a standard free wheeling hub as it does not look anything like the pictures in the manual or the videos. So I am stuck on what to do next. See picture below.
20201006_140237[1].jpg

Cannot see any snap rings to remove. Was also surprisped to see a bolt at the end of the spindle.. Any suggestions on a way forward or what make of vehicle this might originally be off would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I think that maybe someone has left the bolt in that is used to pull the spindle out (a little) to access the snap ring. When rebuilding it is usual to insert the bolt a few threads and pull the spindle so perhaps a previous owner thought they'd avoid getting caught short and screwed the bolt in. It also looks like it has an end plate - try removing the bolt and end plate then re-attach the bolt a few threads and ease the spindle and the snap ring should be visible.

Regards,

Rodger

Thanks for getting back to me Roger. Your response was really helpful. Turns out the bolt in the spindle was holding an adapter in place going from a regular spindle (28 I think) to 20, which obviously was all part of the non standard free wheeling hub.

Thanks again
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Back