Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HJ60 low oil pressure

kombivan

Country Flag
australia
I have low oil pressure engine has done about 30,000k's since rebuild motor no idea how long its been low as its hidden behind the steering wheel the gauge. I have a 1986 dash in a 1982 cruiser, I intend replacing oil and filter after changing pressure relief valve and also checking the bypass valve I have a piston in the mail. I was also wondering if some one could post a photo of the relief valve and bypass valve so I know I'm unscrewing the correct item as the manual isn't that clear. The oil has been in my car for 2 years I think but only done about 1000k's as its been getting body work done bit by bit as a side job by a really nice Panel and paint guy. Great Lakes Panel and paint 0265556258 might be a distance away from you but he is good. So I need a couple of pictures and anything I have forgotten thank you Guys.
IMGP0749.jpg

Back in 1999 when I first got her.
1999yearcarlandcruis.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome. Before I did anything I'd check the oil pressure with a mechanical pressure gauge to see what the actually is. The toyota gauges are notoriously unreliable so it might be that you do have oil pressure. The senders are adjustable apparently but I've not done it.
I had a 60 series a while ago with very low oil pressure but the engine ran very well with 280K miles. A friend of mine ended up with it and we tried a sender off a scrap engine, oil pressure restored.

Welcome. Before I did anything I'd check the oil pressure with a mechanical pressure gauge to see what the actually is. The toyota gauges are notoriously unreliable so it might be that you do have oil pressure. The senders are adjustable apparently but I've not done it.
I had a 60 series a while ago with very low oil pressure but the engine ran very well with 280K miles. A friend of mine ended up with it and we tried a sender off a scrap engine, oil pressure restored.

I think you might be on to it if the pressure can be adjusted.

What he said. Don’t rely on the factory gauge.

When I get her back from panel and paint I'm going to refit the old gauge then it should be ok.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ok changed the Dash then the gauge went right up and wouldn't drop so I figure bad sensor. I fitted a new oil pressure switch, now the gauge go up with key and drops slowly when the engine starts and it drops almost to the L mark about 4-5mm above it I haven't driven it yet might look into the pressure valves when I find them to make sure they are working. It is becoming a puzzle as the gauge worked better before. Might need a change in oil but will check the pressure valves first.

Last edited:
Its not making tappet noise which is a good sign it shows the oil is getting around the engine.

I changed the oil and filter yesterday almost no difference in the gauge reading so next will be new springs in the oil pressure valves which will arrive any day now.

the engine only has about 40-60,000k's on it and the oil pump was new so it can only be the pressure valves and these must be checked as the whole side of the engine block can be blown out if they are blocked I have seen one engine this happened to and not a pretty sight. That was a 1987 model so my 82 model needs checking.

No I have a bad back and it would be too hard for me to fit one so I do the pressure valves once their done there is nothing else I can do motor is tight still and like i said oil is getting to the lifters. I might get a mechanic to hook up a gauge if I need to.

I have a problem the oil pressure relief valve from 11.1984 on ward is on top of the oil filter housing there is another near the oil pump now My HJ60 is a 1982 and it has a hex head bolt on the mounting block the oil filter housing is attached to is this where the pressure relief valve is on the early HJ60's pre 11.1984 any one know? as I want to find this relief valve before the one near the oil pump. Thank You.

No I have a bad back and it would be too hard for me to fit one so I do the pressure valves once their done there is nothing else I can do motor is tight still and like i said oil is getting to the lifters. I might get a mechanic to hook up a gauge if I need to.
I agree with all the others with regard to fitting an analoge Bourdon type OPG, It would be the first thing I would do if I were seriously worried about low oil pressure on my motor, if you fitted a 'T' piece you could even leave it connected and have the two OPG's for comparison.

After all if you go to the the doctor, the first thing they would do is check your blood pressure, with an accurate gauge.

Nice 60 btw. :thumbup:

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes ok but that's not the question I asked now I have to re ask it. Don't mean to seem rude. This is about servicing the pressure relief valve nothing else. Thank you Jibberjabber for the compliment on my cruiser for many years it was the only car I could drive after a spinal injury the seat and G series suspension was all I could sit in while traveling.

I have a problem the oil pressure relief valve from 11.1984 on ward is on top of the oil filter housing there is another near the oil pump now My HJ60 is a 1982 and it has a hex head bolt facing the front on the mounting block the oil filter housing is attached to is this where the pressure relief valve is on the early HJ60's pre 11.1984 any one know? as I want to find this relief valve before the one near the oil pump. Thank You. The 1982 is not covered in my HJ60 workshop manual for the oil pressure relief valve.

Last edited:
yes ok but that's not the question I asked now I have to re ask it. Don't mean to seem rude. This is about servicing the pressure relief valve nothing else.

I have a problem the oil pressure relief valve from 11.1984 on ward is on top of the oil filter housing there is another near the oil pump now My HJ60 is a 1982 and it has a hex head bolt facing the front on the mounting block the oil filter housing is attached to is this where the pressure relief valve is on the early HJ60's pre 11.1984 any one know? as I want to find this relief valve before the one near the oil pump. Thank You. The 1982 is not covered in my HJ60 workshop manual for the oil pressure relief valve.
You may have already said, is your 60 a petrol or diesel ?

yes ok but that's not the question I asked now I have to re ask it. Don't mean to seem rude. This is about servicing the pressure relief valve nothing else. Thank you Jibberjabber for the compliment on my cruiser for many years it was the only car I could drive after a spinal injury the seat and G series suspension was all I could sit in while traveling.

Is this the same as yours?
Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 16.47.18.png

I have a problem the oil pressure relief valve from 11.1984 on ward is on top of the oil filter housing there is another near the oil pump now My HJ60 is a 1982 and it has a hex head bolt on the mounting block the oil filter housing is attached to is this where the pressure relief valve is on the early HJ60's pre 11.1984 any one know? as I want to find this relief valve before the one near the oil pump. Thank You.
We trying to help you, can you just take a photo of the things you are asking questions about, forget about 1984, just concentrate on your 1982, as I'm not clear on what postion on your 2H engine are the oil pressure relief valves, so pictures would be helpful to us.

Thanks.

IMGP4864.JPG

I'm thinking it's the hex bolt on the oil cooler housing, right of the mounting block next to the top right hand bolt holding the filter housing. I want to be sure as I have made the mistake of undoing the wrong bolt on somthing long ago a wrecker toyota repair guy or an early HJ60 (Diesel) owner might know servicing these is uncommon as most find out to late and this is well over due.

If this is it do I take out the small bolt or the large one as the large one might house the valve but I doubt it.

Do you see what I see oil filter leaking this suggest the valve needs attention asap. Unless it's the oil I wiped around the rubber seal.

Last edited:
Back