Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HJ61 Big Build

T

TOYG60

Where do I start?
Hi all. This is the first forum I have been on in the hope that you can be of assistance with a large project I am taking on. I have decided to overhaul my parents HJ61 Landcruiser factory 12HT G wagon. It is a one owner and in perfect nick. My old man took a lot care to keep the old girl going strong (being a farmer and all) but now after years of towing a caravan the 500,000 km+ engine is overdue for some love.

After recently detonating the transmission I have it fully rebuilt adding in a PWR cooler to keep things under control and oil temp gauge in cab. My next step is the engine. My good mate at Eastwood Engine Developments (in SA) and I are to do the rebuild (more him then me) but I need to source the upgrade bolt on's. I have been looking around for upgrades in the way of turbo packages and top mount intercooler setups and are hoping you guy's maybe able to shed some light.

Has anyone used the WA company Gturbo's Grunter or Bad Boy turbo upgrades? I haven't found anyone else that looks like they are a good quality company to deal with but if you have experience with someone else please let me know. Due to lack of room in the front of my HJ with other mods to come I am opting for a top mount intercooler. So far Cross Country 4x4 are the only ones I have found that actually do a top mount and have gotten back to me.

Thoughts? Advice?

Cheers,
TC

Welcome TC, 61's are a rare bird over here especially autos.
I would assume intercooling the 12HT engine could be problematic from a practical point of view unless the plumbing over the engine was altered somehow. I would think also the benefit would not be proportional to the cost. I say this as a 61 auto owner mine having covered 300KM and it pulls like a bloody freight train.
It will be interesting to see where this thread goes, I will be watching and learning.

Andy

Hi Andy. I have been looking into the intercooler options as anything is better than nothing when it comes to producing better/cooler combustible atmospheric pressures in the chamber. Coming from old school supercharged V8's hot rodding and racing offroad over here in Australia trying to keep temperatures down is a must considering the average summer temperature where I am is 40+ C. I have been in touch with a few companies here in Australia but most do front mount which is not an option for my rig. However this is a good thing as it will be nice to have something different from all the other cats. Looking to get upwards of 150kW and 400+Nm. Will be interesting how the engine flows with new head ported and port matched.

TC

Would this fit (clear)
llk-1hd-t.jpg
under Your bonnet?

Possibly. Looking to go twice as wide with take offs on the bottom to maximize cooler surface area. Looks like a custom PWR cooler at this point in time.

Its not the size that matters, its how it performs & what it puts out....

Ballancing the air flow should be one of Your first areas to adress

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you know of PWR, Keys Wheel, He is the world leader in radiators and coolers. His business manufactures everything for F1 through to Rally. Size always matters when you are talking high intake temps especially in Australia. Think I may need to join a Australian forum as it may be more relative.

I have fitted PWR products in the past
I do know my way around a diesel engines, have tuned a few of them & Your last statement regarding size as such in not 100% correct, sorry.
If You feel You dont get the desired answers on this forum, so be it.
-m2c-

Not having a shot at you mate. I race here in Australia with one of the top off road race teams and know the PWR guys personally. If you got the chance to see the Red Bull coolers in the wind tunnel at the factory you would change your mind. Your climate is nothing like ours. In the Red Centre I have been there crossing the Simpson Desert and temps where 56 degrees C. Probably not the same as where you are hence my comment that I need input more relative.

Tim at Gturbo has a HJ61 so could be useful, pretty sure he intercooled his and had a gturbo fitted. I have a BB Gturbo and cross country top mount on my HDFT, but think the grunter would be the better choice as it boosts up at lower revs. Graeme is a fountain of knowledge if you can get hold of him

If you got the chance to see the Red Bull coolers in the wind tunnel at the factory you would change your mind. Your climate is nothing like ours.

The achilles heel is not the flow through the IC:)
And Yes, if You look at the top temperatures, You have higher figures as such.
Then again, some of us do travel..
But please, by all means tap into Your local widsom. You seem to be close to the heppenings anyway

Back