Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Honestly, how much better or worse is a , , , ,

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Late model 120 series as per an early 150 series.

Hoping to get both sides of the story.

Graham

I looked at both and opted for the 120, for the following reasons:

Rear load area on 150 is sloped and is an awkward shape due to permanently fixed (albeit folding) 3rd row of seats).

Rear load area appears smaller due to point 1.

Plastic arch extensions for some extra protection rather than straight metal wings.

Same engine pretty much.

More accessories for the 120 from what I can gather.

The 150 is a lovely place to be. For me, what it does better than the 120 is:

Interior feels more plush and better appointed.

The driving position feels more "commanding" than in the 120.

The whole truck feels and looks to have more road presence.

So can you not remove the 3rd row of seats?

So can you not remove the 3rd row of seats?

You can, but they are designed to be fitted permanently. Removal means changing the boot floor profile and having to fit a new load area floor, messing with bits of trim etc.

I looked at both and opted for the 120, for the following reasons:

Rear load area on 150 is sloped and is an awkward shape due to permanently fixed (albeit folding) 3rd row of seats).

Rear load area appears smaller due to point 1.

Plastic arch extensions for some extra protection rather than straight metal wings.

Same engine pretty much.

More accessories for the 120 from what I can gather.

The 150 is a lovely place to be. For me, what it does better than the 120 is:

Interior feels more plush and better appointed.

The driving position feels more "commanding" than in the 120.

The whole truck feels and looks to have more road presence.
The late 120 invincible is just as plush with its real black walnut wood on dash, steering wheel, and doors and also leather armrest on centre console as well as touch screen for controls and rear ac/heater vents for the whole rear which is great for dogs in the boot . the non fitting of plastic side panels on the 150 to me makes it look like the basic 120 model the the UN or Cyprus forestry and land dept use . Also the 120 looks more european design and the 150 looks to me too 70s Japan car in the front end design , I looked at both and decided on getting the very last (1st of july 2009) 120 invincible and was around 7 grand cheaper than a 150 with similar spec and that was in 2015 .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Late model 120 series as per an early 150 series.

Hoping to get both sides of the story.

Graham
Are you planning on getting back to being an Land cruiser owner again . I bet you have missed being one for the last couple of years .

Are you planning on getting back to being an Land cruiser owner again . I bet you have missed being one for the last couple of years .

For my wife.
We have considered various larger 4x4.
Typically
LR Disco 4
BMW X5
RRS
Patrol
Shogun
Q7

However I feel none of them can match the reliability of the LC.
As she will be the main driver, reliability is 90% of what we want in a vehicle.

So just not sure of a 120 or a 150.
Her has ruled out (almost) a 100 Amazon, of newer than 2005 'ish

So that's were we are

Graham.

For my wife.
Typically
LR Disco 4
BMW X5
RRS
Patrol
Shogun
Q7

As she will be the main driver, reliability is 90% of what we want in a vehicle.

So that's were we are

Graham.
Oh I see, its not because you have missed being an Lc owner then .

I would be interested to know why. When Nickie and I were looking for a new Land Cruiser we went the opposite way. We ruled out 120's / 150's, having looked at both, and ended up with a 2004 100.

I would be interested to know why. When Nickie and I were looking for a new Land Cruiser we went the opposite way. We ruled out 120's / 150's, having looked at both, and ended up with a 2004 100.
I looked at the 100/105 nice inside but parking in city car parks , and driving in narrow back streets of Nicosia , road tax well over a thousand could be 1300 euros a year , use 10 mpg more in town , noticeably slower , wife said too big her having to drive it also to go shopping in , for us the 120 was the best choice as it looks more modern and future proof for resale here on Cyprus as high road tax puts folk off .

I can see size being an issue for city driving and thankfully we don't have such high road tax for older vehicles here in UK.

I can see size being an issue for city driving and thankfully we don't have such high road tax for older vehicles here in UK.
I can see the 100/105 is a great buy for use in the UK with the cheap road tax and fantastic cheap price to buy one its a super bargain .

For my wife.
Typically
LR Disco 4
BMW X5
RRS
Patrol
Shogun
Q7

So that's were we are

Graham.

One missing from that group Gra, the Touareg / Cayenne option or is that one ruled out. IMO I'd guess theres little in the reliability stakes along with better build quality especially underneath.
I guess it comes down to the money, I tried a good few recently RR, Cayenne predominantly but still bought a good 120 above them all.
Patrol and Shogun are very much bridesmaids to the Toyo, The X5 can be problematic, the RRS a bit complicated if and when they go wrong. Nothing bad to say about the Q7 with a good selection of engines but the styling is an acquired taste.
The 150 I tried ( admittedly a while ago) seemed a bit wallowy and I've yet to take to the styling, plus they do seem to be a bit underpowered compared with the competition.

Just had a thought, Merc ML , JEEP ???

Oh I see, its not because you have missed being an Lc owner then .

Yes and no,

Fay likes the style and look of the RRS, top markes for style, however she knows that they prop the pile up, ie, at the bottom, of unreliable cars.
So it seems LR are not in the running.
The Q7 and the X5 40d are near the top.
As is LC 120 and 150, but the 100 is too big for her parking in town, and doing shoping.
God forbid she ever had to park it at an Aldi with there tiny spaces.

Graham

For me a 100 Amazon would be fine.
I have acres of space in works car park, and I generally don't do town driving and shopping
I think the 100's are nice, however she says they look dated. (2005)

Graham

One missing from that group Gra, the Touareg / Cayenne option or is that one ruled out. IMO I'd guess theres little in the reliability stakes along with better build quality especially underneath.
I guess it comes down to the money, I tried a good few recently RR, Cayenne predominantly but still bought a good 120 above them all.
Patrol and Shogun are very much bridesmaids to the Toyo, The X5 can be problematic, the RRS a bit complicated if and when they go wrong. Nothing bad to say about the Q7 with a good selection of engines but the styling is an acquired taste.
The 150 I tried ( admittedly a while ago) seemed a bit wallowy and I've yet to take to the styling, plus they do seem to be a bit underpowered compared with the competition.

Hi ,
Actually we have considered the 3.0L Touareg, forgot to include it.

We did consider the 4,5 petrol Cayenne, she only does 8 miles a day to work and back, so in one sense a petrol does make sense.
I was just a bit worried if we took on a 2008 Cayenne, then it could potentially write itself off if the engine or gearbox spat out a sizeable repair bill.
So on that note, I am afraid the Cayenne is out.

Gra.

Her boss has a Q7.
Fay does drive up and down from Warrington to London in.
She had very good comments about it.

I agree the Toyota engines only seem to put our 75% or less of the competitions engines power, size for size.
However, I thing here lies the longevity of the Toyota.

Gra

Hi Graham

I looked at the 150 when i sold my 120, as said earlier the rear boot put me off with about a 4 inch lip where the rear seats lay(useless design on toyota's part) engines are still living in the dark ages. I looked at the X5 but when i test drove it, i felt like a boy racer in a lowered car bumping along the road.

Q7 was also on my list but when researching got put off by many design floors. one being front tyres knocked out in 5k miles.

Range rover I have driven a friends, very nice but it does like to spit the dummy out at any chance.

Touareg, Well, what can i say, im really impressed with it. i have been on a long journey with it and its just a comfy cruising along as the 120, has lots of power, nice 8 speed auto box i have the air suspension on my one so can raise it right up if i want. It will never match the LC off road but i never took the 12o off road anyway. it also has 3.5t towing weight. the v6 diesel sound bloody lovely when on the load pedal too. it is 2 inches wider than the 120 though.

It also performed better than i expected in this years snow, its running on road/summer tyres and still pulled up my mother inlaws steep hill. il be changing over to michelin crossclimates later on in the year incase i fancy a trip over to the slopes in february.

Last edited:
Back