Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How do I remove rear spring bump stops?

Rob Cowell

Country Flag
wales
On my LC3. Can’t work out how the rubber cones come off? Want to plate a bit of chassis behind and it’s awkward to get the grinder in with the cone in place. Any ideas?
B49AA0D7-173F-45B6-AA6E-BA26F0629ADC.jpeg

Will it not just pull off? mine came off with the spring when I took it out.

IIRC, the cone is bonded to a metal disc that is threaded, there is a single central bolt through the chassis that screws into it.
Thats what I feared. And the top of the spring mount is just mud so dont fancy my chances with a nut.

Quite possible. When I was treating the underside of my 120, one of the smaller rear axle bump stops fell off. Cleaned areas off and bonded it back on.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Update for anyone who finds this thread with a similar question in future. They do just pull off. There is definitely no fitting for them into the spring mount.

Just friction and the spring once in place.

1634305143415.jpeg

Chris, if they still hang once spring is removed as in Robs pic, just the brown stuff (rust) holding them on ?

Yeah pretty much just pressure crud and time. The top donut in the pic is a sound insulator. Supposed to fit between the spring and the upper cup. Not sure why they're separate. On some modles, no idea why, they don't have these internal bumps they have chassis mounted external ones. I was doing my rear springs and the external ones were toast so I bought two of the cone ones and they plonked straight in. Long long time ago.

Only part on my car not rusty. Did the top spring bracket last year. Maybe too clean! :icon-biggrin:
There are chassis mounted stops too on my LC3. Well actuall there aren't which is why I'm welding the chassis to refit those!

I had a feeling the stops in the springs are on the 120, but not on the 125. But then I assume yours was a 120 Chris?

Back