Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

how to check viscous fan coupling is working properly?

Re the A/C failure. The normal mode of failure is the system develops a small leak, this is usually brought on by NOT using your A/C during the winter for a few minutes each month. Once the refrigerant has leaked out moisture gets in and starts to corrode the internals in particular the compressor. Some compressors fail pretty soon after a regass because the guy doing the work may well have topped up the refrigerant but did NOT a, remove the moisture and b, add the correct amount (or even any) oil. The system needs both to work correctly, the gas to pull the heat from the inside of the car and the oil to lubricate the compressor. I rarely see this happen here where the A/C guys will do the job thoroughly, which means vacuuming the sytstem to remove any moisture and then pressure testing followed by oil and gas in the correct quantities. Whilst I would not suggest this is what happened to your compressor the mode of failure fit's the order of usual events.

regards

Dave

I took a risk on my 80 2 years ago and topped up the AC with Halfords cannister gas. It has oil in and a pressure gauge. The system was a liitle weak but it fully restored it and it's still OK. I DIY'd it as I thought my amateur approach was probrably better than most pro's. But when it gets weak again I'll post for a recommendation.

Frank

Back