Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How to improve my engine performance

tony rodaway

Country Flag
uk
Hello guys.
My lc5 has done 221000 now and still going strong but i want to improve it to not sound like a tractor with out spending mega money.
I now there is engine performance garages out there but your talking ££££.
I just want to quiet my engine down and notice it on take off.
Any suggestions or shall i just leave it alone to plod on.

Many thanks guys.

The money spent on my lc5 to get it to how i like im not going to change for anything. Wife wants me to buy an audi Q5.
My answer (((WHY))). :text-bravo:

Attachments

• IMG_20210314_121905.jpg
    IMG_20210314_121905.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20210515_125231.jpg
    IMG_20210515_125231.jpg
    582.3 KB · Views: 52
Q7 maybe, But not a Q5..... My lc5 had nearly 200,000 on it, And there was no documented history of the injectors ever being done..... I just thought thats how they sound.... so i lived with it..... But the guy i sold it to remarked on how smooth and quiet it was and drove it home from near Dover to Isle of Arran.... He txt me to say he got home ok and all is well.... I half expected him to phone me to say it had gone BANG!!!!...

Turn the music up, makes the engine sound harder to track?

I have been experimenting with a diesel additive, Hydra EHN-99 (2-Ethylehexyl Nitrate
A few people i know that use diesel cars have claimed to have significant mileage improvements and performance improvements?
Being the sceptic about miracle cures, i have tried this by running the same route (work and back) for a full tank with out and with different mixes.
Although it does seem a little more powerful and i have noticed a decrease in the notorious 'rattling' first thing my stats show only a 1mpg fuel improvement
Worked out for £35/5lt it will last about 2 years with a mix ratio of 500-1, tried 1000-1 but nothing measurable.
It has also been claimed that emmisions are significantly reduced, cannot comment until MOT test them!

From what i know (and its not so much on this) is that it is the equivalent of buying high grade diesel and is only effective assuming you are buying the cheap supermarket diesel.

Anyone else tried this?

Simon

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have been experimenting with a diesel additive, Hydra EHN-99 (2-Ethylehexyl Nitrate
A few people i know that use diesel cars have claimed to have significant mileage improvements and performance improvements?
Being the sceptic about miracle cures, i have tried this by running the same route (work and back) for a full tank with out and with different mixes.
Although it does seem a little more powerful and i have noticed a decrease in the notorious 'rattling' first thing my stats show only a 1mpg fuel improvement
Worked out for £35/5lt it will last about 2 years with a mix ratio of 500-1, tried 1000-1 but nothing measurable.
It has also been claimed that emmisions are significantly reduced, cannot comment until MOT test them!

From what i know (and its not so much on this) is that it is the equivalent of buying high grade diesel and is only effective assuming you are buying the cheap supermarket diesel.

Anyone else tried this?

Simon
I noticed on my LC5 that it was rattly on start up, but after a minute quietened down. Haven't quite diagnosed whether or not my LC5 has had the injectors done or not (it's 150k and a 2006), but I thought after reading somewhere on the internet of trying the Millers Diesel EcoMax thing. I'm on my first tank of it, and I think it's slightly more powerful. But it still rattles when cold.

I mean if it's a characteristic I can live with it. But it's definitely odd when the last "modern" diesel I had never did it. But then it was a Peugeot and a total pile of bullshine to be honest.

Its a bit subjective but i will definitely continue, MOT on Sat so it will be interesting to see how the emmisions are
Key point seems to be the quality of the diesel used in the first place, if you are using a reasonable brand then there may be little or no difference.
I still get a rattle and the colder it is the more prominent it is but its not as bad using the additive. Injectors have not been done yet and i am trying to establish the difference between dirty injectors and worn injectors?
Simon

From what I've gathered when trying to calm my nerves about injectors, is that if you see the white smoke on start up then it's usually a sign of failing injectors. You could also get the Techstream thing and monitor the injector performances to make sure they're within tolerance.

Not sure what the design brief for the 120 engine was but a common rail engine should be able to "adjust" injector settings to keep the engine running correctly ...

A modern JCB 4 cylinder common rail engine has a design life of well over 10000 hrs use before it will start to fall out of it's design emission's.... that would equate to many 100's of thousand miles in a 4x4s life....

Seems Toyota have dropped the ball when it comes to their smaller Landcruiser engines.... can't believe the 150 series only has a 4 cylinder sub 200hp engine in the current UK line up when most of the competition have 250 bhp and upwards V6's ....... and a 150 can't tow 3.5 tons .... Mr T you need to pull your finger out !

Back