How to post pictures ...

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
Hello,

In order to keep the server utilisation as efficient and reasonable as possible, it would be best to host your pics off-site, and link to them in your posts.

For those that DON'T know (and I'm sure you all do ...), best is to open a free PhotoBucket account (http://www.photobucket.com) and then post a link in your text to the picture using the 'Img' button at the top of the message header. Photobucket allows you to load full-size images, which then render nicely in your topic. They are also kind enough to provide you with the correct address for each picture to copy and paste into your posting.

There are other sites around that offer similar features and functionality, so feel free to use whatever works best for you.

Have fun! Remember - picture often fill in the blanks!

Gary.

As you will see in my introduction thread, I'm going to build a Gallery on my webspace that people can use until there is a Gallery on this site. I'll get it built, shouldn't take more than a morning and then post the link.

For those of you finding uploading photos to photobucket or similar a chore then i recomend dropbox. once you install it and set the location of the dropbox on your pc you can just copy and paste (or drag and drop) images into the public folder and it gets uploaded to dropbox automatically. To get the link you right click on the file and under dropbox select copy public link and then just paste it here (remeber to use the Img button above for images). You get 2GB free which can be expanded to 8GB if you invite people to join (250MB per invite) Simples

There are also other uses, backup of important files, sharing folders with other dropbox users, online photo albums.... the main advantage is that you don't have to upload photos as its just another folder on your pc. If you install it on another pc and link it to your account then it will automatically update the files on both PCs.

PM with your email address if you want me to send you an invite.

If you want to post picture from PhotoBucket, find the box like the one below. Copy the text from the IMG section and past that in your message here.

Image-Howto.jpg

Crispin said:
If you want to post picture from PhotoBucket, find the box like the one below. Copy the text from the IMG section and past that in your message here.

Image-Howto.jpg
Photobucket is by far the most relaiable, and the easiest.

Before I upload to photobucket, I use a small utility called 'PIXresizer'
Its free, and very easy.

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

I generally make a sub folder in each of my picture folders, and call it reduced, then this PIXresizer can very quickly reduce them all in size for you.
A 100 pics from camera size of about 4256 x 2832, which is normally around 6,5 meg, will reduce to say 800x600 and 120kb, in about half a minute.

Then upload the 100 pic's to photobucket in a matter of seconds.

Graham

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well yesterday afternoon I successfully posted 6 photo's of my "new" truck via my Dropbox account only to see then disappear this morning. I checked my Dropbox account and the pix are still there, so WTF is going on? All and any advise would be gratefully welcomed.

John

The Dark Dude

John, I tried to look at the pics and it seems you need to be logged in. Did you post them in a secure location?

Tony

Thanks for the tip. I've just copied and pasted the files into the public folder. Hopefully this should work, this time.....

John

The Dark Dude

Back