Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How to remove rear bumper corners??

IRLGW

I am trying to remove my rear bumper corners to get them paintmatched and resprayed. I have taken the mudflaps off and the bolts from the rear underside lip, however its still not budging. Surely the cross member doesnt have to come out as well? If not then where are the bolts that I m not seeing?

I am not overly familiar with the 80 but seem to remember that you have to lift the flexible overlap that is on top of the cross member where the 1/4 bumper meets and there are 2 x 10 mm bolts under there (10 mm flat spanner just slips in) plus the one that goes through the rear side panel and holds the bottom of the flare (although it sounds like you found that one).

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Rodger

Ah ha, I just found the culprit...the sneaky nut inside the chamfer on the rear valance. For some reason they went with a nut in there instead of a bolt..

Come to Lincomb and try the rock steps?

Start removing the mud flap and work back. Lots of layers of bolts to get to

Roger I couldn't access it as you described because the top of the bumper corner was getting stuck under the lower tailgate. Now I have it off - it looks reasonably simple. Lucky enough none of the bolts snapped. It is a little bit crusty in there but fortunately no deep rust so a good opportunity to tidy it up. I jammed car sponges into the afore mentioned chamfers a few years ago and they seem to have kept most of the spray out.

would love to make lincomb sometime but it never just lines up. I might try September meet if all goes well but wouldnt want to get it wet if its raining...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I removed mine with a river bank in North Yorkshire...then eventually replaced them with a steel HD bumper!

One of mine is off ATM to do some welding, damn bolt broke off!

Regards

Dave

lol Yep all my bolts broke removing the cover from the mounting plate. I removed the towbar to clean it up but the backing plate of the inner-most support snapped one bolt and sheared the welded nut off the other. Is the long rod thingy that holds the backing plate in position an OEM fitting?

Back