Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How to replace aerial

stumog

Country Flag
england
20170701_110437.jpg
20170701_110824.jpg
So I have been without a radio for some time due to hitting and breaking the aerial while offroad .

It's been stuck 1/3 up and had no reception.

While talking to nick he mentioned roughtrax do the sticky up part for £30 ish.

So when in there last picked one up.

Undo the metal lock ring I used a pair of water pump pliers but you could use circuits if you like.

Take off the black cover. it just pulls off.

Lift up the remains of what you have left and undoing the small lock nut from the wire.

Now set the new lock nut to the same amount of thread as the old one and twist the top of the aerial to do up.

Then just twist the lock nut tI'll it's tight.

Less then 10mins to do.
20170701_105618.jpg
20170701_110851.jpg

I have given mine a squire of oily stuff.

Some not so great pictures

:clap: Nice one Stu, when it all goes well :thumbup:

I had a similar problem, so armed with a new sticky-up bit (mast) I attempted to undo the locking collar, and the threaded body of the aerial unit itself disintigrated to dust :doh:

That prompted an audible FECK and the job came to an abrupt halt.

The unit has now been removed and the hole in the wing is now welded up and re-sprayed :lol:

I don't use the radio and don't miss it, it's all in foreign anyway, so I don't appreciate it like a local would. My wife always complains that we don't have radio though, so I'm looking to mount a simple static mast to the bull-bar, but haven't found one I like yet. It needs to have a bendy bit to stop it snapping off on contact and I'm still looking....

Nice post, the OEM units are very simple yet do cause some head scratching as to how they work.

I'm still of a mind to use the redundant up/down dash switches for the winch though, I recon that would be a nice touch instead of the remote cable winch switch I've got, save a lot of mud getting dragged into the truck too, there's enough comes in on my feet, without even more being dragged through the drivers' window as well :lol:

I guess this is the electric motor driven extend / retractable one ? I had a quick look and could not find the manual pull-up-by hand one. Thats the one I need.

I guess this is the electric motor driven extend / retractable one ? I had a quick look and could not find the manual pull-up-by hand one. Thats the one I need.

Sure, but that would just be a replacement unit I guess, probably cheaper than a new telescopic mast for an electric retractable.

Sure, but that would just be a replacement unit I guess, probably cheaper than a new telescopic mast for an electric retractable.

Hi Clive, just need to find somewhere its sold. Importing via amayama or partsouk is super expensive ( ~ 60£)

It maybe the same mast to be fair KB.

Check the part numbers.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Clive, just need to find somewhere its sold. Importing via amayama or partsouk is super expensive ( ~ 60£)

Jeez, that's steep.

I'd have thought a bog-standard from halfrauds would have been as good...

Certainly worth checking out the part numbers, as Stu suggested...

Back