Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How to take care of rust? (pictures included)

Ramdaddy

Country Flag
united_states
So i have a couple spots on me 100 series where the paint has chipped off and its starting to rust. Any tips on how i can get rid of the rust, or at the very least prevent it from getting worse. Also is there any way i can fix/repaint the spots where the paint is gone, without having to repaint my entire truck?

4.JPG3.JPG2.JPG
(may have to right click on pics and open them in a new tab, to see them better)

Looks like just surface rust, so nothing too difficult to tackle. You could lightly sand out the rust until you get to bare metal again. Prime and apply paint then clear. It really depends on the finish you want. You can get away with doing a section spraying and merge it into the original paint work, it's not impossible. Or you can spray the entire panel again. The wing will be harder to do as it's in the middle. The rear should be easier as it's on the edge. You can apply a wax or sealant to it now, to help prevent any further rust buildup.

Looks like just surface rust, so nothing too difficult to tackle. You could lightly sand out the rust until you get to bare metal again. Prime and apply paint then clear. It really depends on the finish you want. You can get away with doing a section spraying and merge it into the original paint work, it's not impossible. Or you can spray the entire panel again. The wing will be harder to do as it's in the middle. The rear should be easier as it's on the edge. You can apply a wax or sealant to it now, to help prevent any further rust buildup.

okay thanks for the help

Hello everyone: just purchased a 2002 4.7L LC, and am very excited. Two questions:
1. The navigation system is outdated. What type of update should I get, where, how much?
2. Despite a great condition (outside and engine) underbelly is very rusty (got it from Michigan.) I received an estimate of $1K to remove visible rust and apply a coating (a 3-day job, apparently.) Is it worth it?
Thanks much for any suggestion(s)!

You are pretty much stuck with the nav system. It controls the AC.
There are two ways - GROM does an android device - VLine that replaces the DVD and uses the preexisting touchscreen. Later versions have decent performance, but the atrocious screen resolution is a huge pain in the butt. Modern android and apps have lots of issues running on such low resolution.

The other way is to use one of the two available Chinese units - one is 10" landscape (mostly deprecated), the other 12" portrait. They are the only two units that replace the factory nav system and can control the AC. The later versions of the 12" seem to work well, but might be a challenge to configure initially with the audio and AC.

As for rust - just don't buy rust. You could treat it, but it's there, it's working and sooner or later will eat through important stuff. Also you and/or your mechanic will hate to do any work down there.
If it's already very rusty, even if cleaned and treated, the treatment will start bubbling and flaking sooner or later.

Back