Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Howdy to all reliable vehicle fans!

To judge any cruiser ignore the odometer and age and just look at the condition / how it drives. Age does affect spec of course but quite often the general pros and cons of spec changes balance out.

I understand you don't want to spend more than you have to on fuel but you have said you'll adjust usage to compensate so imo the real world few mpg difference between diesel models shouldn't be a deciding factor. In my experience petrol models are not anywhere close to diesels on fuel economy. If you see an impressive real world figure for a petrol model I'd assume that if exactly the same driving was done in an identical spec but diesel cruiser it would do significantly better than the petrol it's just the way it is.

I have only owned 80's and 100's. If you don't need / want the off road awesomeness of an 80 I'd get a 100. If you need / want off road awesomeness then you have to buy an 80.

excellent advice there Jon thanks, Chris sort of set me down the same track. I definitely don't need the awesome off road abilities of the 80, I wouldn't even test the 100 properly. Even if I get some new land to shoot on, it's just fields, no mountains round ere :D

Yes I think I am decided on the 100. I want the older ones (up to 2001) to avoid getting the touchscreen nonsense, I like that square old slot for an android stereo/reverse camera/dvd etc. Plus, I like older, just not quite as old as an 80 as I like the comforts of the 100 and no doubt would love the 80 every bit as much (or more) but I don't have anything like the knowledge to inspect a much older car thoroughly enough, will struggle a bit with the 100 but at least I have seen a few and driven one yesterday.

excellent advice there Jon thanks, Chris sort of set me down the same track. I definitely don't need the awesome off road abilities of the 80, I wouldn't even test the 100 properly. Even if I get some new land to shoot on, it's just fields, no mountains round ere :D

Yes I think I am decided on the 100. I want the older ones (up to 2001) to avoid getting the touchscreen nonsense, I like that square old slot for an android stereo/reverse camera/dvd etc. Plus, I like older, just not quite as old as an 80 as I like the comforts of the 100 and no doubt would love the 80 every bit as much (or more) but I don't have anything like the knowledge to inspect a much older car thoroughly enough, will struggle a bit with the 100 but at least I have seen a few and driven one yesterday.

Have you driven the 5gear auto 100? This would be past the 2004 models... by getting the pre 2001, you are effectively getting the worst of the 100's.

New Prius? :whistle:
(Runs and hides)

Jon is right, a petrol won't ever achieve the figures of an oil burner, you don't buy a petrol landcruiser and worry about mpg though.

I'd challenge anyone to not floor mine through a tunnel with the window down in 2nd :icon-twisted: any ideas of saving fuel literally goes out the tailpipe :lol:

oh geek, now you're making it complicated again :D :D.
No i have only driven the 2001 100 Amazon I drove yesterday. What's the difference then? I have to say whilst I can't profess to have much knowledge at all, I do have a VERY strongly held opinion that hardly ANYTHING gets BETTER as time moves on, so I must admit to being slightly dubious about your statement even though I expect it to be right! Maybe the gearing is nicer, but what else is crapper? :D
Are we talking economy, performance, smoothness... or...... ?
The 100 I tried had overdrive, doesn't that count as gear 5? :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
oh geek, now you're making it complicated again :D :D.
No i have only driven the 2001 100 Amazon I drove yesterday. What's the difference then? I have to say whilst I can't profess to have much knowledge at all, I do have a VERY strongly held opinion that hardly ANYTHING gets BETTER as time moves on, so I must admit to being slightly dubious about your statement even though I expect it to be right! Maybe the gearing is nicer, but what else is crapper? :D
Are we talking economy, performance, smoothness... or...... ?
The 100 I tried had overdrive, doesn't that count as gear 5? :D

No, its a 3 spd + O/D. Your very strongly held opinion that hardly anything gets better as time goes on may hinder you in your search for a good Cruiser, I'm quite sure the 80 series was an improvement over the 60 series for instance.
There is nothing as good in a pre 04 100 series as a 04 onwards except perhaps the manual heater controls if thats what you have to have.
If I was hunting for a 100 series in your position I'd consider the GX model without its problematic AHC suspension ( although I'm not sure if they are a 7 seater)

I see you have a Blackbird. Sold mine last year, gut sick :(

AHC - is that the lower/raise thingie (which wasn't working in the car I took out the other day!)?
so post 2004 100 is better, in what way? Build, driving, technology?
I had my heart pretty set on a 2001 100 series, so need to understand the differences now and maybe you helped me avoid a mistake!
thanks

lc_history.jpg

top right are the 90's 120's and 150's just ad a "0" after the j9, j12,j15
bottom right are the 60's 80's 100's and 200's, again just add a "0"

I always used to go to the shop down the highstreet for posters but i only remember coming home with Cindy Crawford and Pam Anderson, don't remember any landcruiser posters.

I see you have a Blackbird. Sold mine last year, gut sick :(

AHC - is that the lower/raise thingie (which wasn't working in the car I took out the other day!)?
so post 2004 100 is better, in what way? Build, driving, technology?

Yes I've had it for 13 years now ( the BB) with a few performance enhancements its not a bad thing at all although it's enhanced performance did get me in a spot of bother last year culminating in a wallet withering four figure fine and six bonus points.

If the AHC isn't working perfectly walk away. My 100 series didn't come from the factory with it on and its a far better thing without it. Repairing/ rebuilding the AHC can be very expensive compared to the purchase price of the Truck to start with.

I always used to go to the shop down the highstreet for posters but i only remember coming home with Cindy Crawford and Pam Anderson, don't remember any landcruiser posters.
I was going to put it inbetween those two on the wall.

The poster that is...

Having seen in another thread that you are favouring the 100 series here's a few things to look out for:
Steering colum motors fail.
AHC suspension can fail and give a terrible ride
Corrosion has been seen in both top and bottom tailgates, examine the frame work closely.
Corrosion in the front wings ahead of the front wheels.
Corrosion underneath, some do not seem to have faired as well as the 80 series, possibly due to prolonged exposure to road salt with no additional rustproofing since it left the factory, and salt not being washed off. Bad corrosion can lead to bolts snapping and maintenance becoming a pain.
Some 100s (and 80s) have had to work hard for their living towing plant/catering wagons/toilet blocks etc, so some will exhibit transmission wear as a result of prolonged hauling of heavy loads.
100s are big trucks for U.K. roads so parking damage to the corners are often seen.
Centre console lids seems to get broken off a lot by some owners.
Rear difflock actuators suffer badly on 80 series from corrosion and impact from road debris and salt, I wouldn't expect the 100 to be any better, so see if it works. Select low range and confirm that the centre difflock has engaged by the dash symbol, then operate the rear difflock and drive slowly with slight steering inputs to try and provoke the rear diff to aligin and lock, once it does the flashing rear difflock indicator on the dash will go solid. If it continues to flash its most likely not working. Avoid driving in circles with the centre difflock engaged, it causes transmission wine up between the front and rear axles.
Look for history that backs up the mileage and tallys with the wear being exhibited by the vehicle; some Land Cruisers have done quite high mileages and then been clocked back, as we all know they are more than capbable of it if correctly maintained.
On the whole they are good trucks so hunt out a good one and you'll have a keeper. The differences between the earlier auto gearbox and the later facelifted box have already been mentioned, test drive both to see how they suit you.

As you have seen 100s never sold in the numbers that 120s did, so try not to limit yourself to a specific year/spec/colour or you could be hunting a longtime for your dream truck, and has been said don't let mileage worry you, buy on condition.

Having seen in another thread that you are favouring the 100 series here's a few things to look out for:
Steering colum motors fail.
AHC suspension can fail and give a terrible ride
Corrosion has been seen in both top and bottom tailgates, examine the frame work closely.
Corrosion in the front wings ahead of the front wheels.
Corrosion underneath, some do not seem to have faired as well as the 80 series, possibly due to prolonged exposure to road salt with no additional rustproofing since it left the factory, and salt not being washed off. Bad corrosion can lead to bolts snapping and maintenance becoming a pain.
Some 100s (and 80s) have had to work hard for their living towing plant/catering wagons/toilet blocks etc, so some will exhibit transmission wear as a result of prolonged hauling of heavy loads.
100s are big trucks for U.K. roads so parking damage to the corners are often seen.
Centre console lids seems to get broken off a lot by some owners.
Rear difflock actuators suffer badly on 80 series from corrosion and impact from road debris and salt, I wouldn't expect the 100 to be any better, so see if it works. Select low range and confirm that the centre difflock has engaged by the dash symbol, then operate the rear difflock and drive slowly with slight steering inputs to try and provoke the rear diff to aligin and lock, once it does the flashing rear difflock indicator on the dash will go solid. If it continues to flash its most likely not working. Avoid driving in circles with the centre difflock engaged, it causes transmission wine up between the front and rear axles.
Look for history that backs up the mileage and tallys with the wear being exhibited by the vehicle; some Land Cruisers have done quite high mileages and then been clocked back, as we all know they are more than capbable of it if correctly maintained.
On the whole they are good trucks so hunt out a good one and you'll have a keeper. The differences between the earlier auto gearbox and the later facelifted box have already been mentioned, test drive both to see how they suit you.

As you have seen 100s never sold in the numbers that 120s did, so try not to limit yourself to a specific year/spec/colour or you could be hunting a longtime for your dream truck, and has been said don't let mileage worry you, buy on condition.

In parallel Scott I think.

Back